Minutewomen head to A-10 Tournament

It’s hard to tell what to expect of a team in its first year with a new coach. Should the players struggle to adjust to the new system? Or will they be sparked by the change in bench generals?

For the Minutewomen, it has been a little of both. They started off the season on an 8-1 streak, the best start in team history since the inaugural 1968-69 season. On the flip side, UMass has struggled after a holiday trip that produced losses against Florida and Michigan.

Since then, the squad has suffered losses in 12 of its final 18 games, and limped to the end of the season minus the services of point guard Katie Nelson and shooting guard Cleo Foster, the latter of which saw action in the final game against Duquesne.

Six months ago, it wasn’t easy to predict what a team that had gone 8-8 in the Atlantic 10 would do under the helm of former Cornell coach Marnie Dacko. Tonight, it will begin the final chapter in Dacko’s first season, with a 6 p.m. matchup against LaSalle in the first round of the A-10 tournament.

As for predicting tonight’s game, the only contest between the two teams took place on Feb. 2. The Minutewomen, spearheaded by 17 points and 15 rebounds from Jennifer Butler, ran away to a 66-51 victory at the Mullins Center. UMass put three players in double-digit scoring, including Butler, Ebony Pegues (12 points), and Nekole Smith (11) en route to the victory.

Ekaterina Markova and Jill Marano, both of whom scored 12 points, led the Explorers. Marano is also leading the squad with 13 ppg, with Davineia Payne (11.9) and Kat Foley (11.3) also averaging double digits.

LaSalle comes into tonight’s game off a 58-53 win at Rhode Island that snapped a three-game losing streak. It also ended a six-game skid on the road, and at no better a place than the Ryan Center, site of this weekend’s championship.

Back in Amherst, the Minutewomen – and their coach – are anxious to get to Kingston, R.I.

“We’ve been waiting for this the whole season,” said Butler, who became the first UMass player in six years to make the A-10 All-Conference first team, as announced last night at the annual Commissioner’s banquet. She is the first Minutewoman to accomplish the feat since Crystal Carroll in 1997.

“We’ve played strong the last two games, so we’re just trying to take that into the tournament,” Butler added.

Butler also earned the A-10 Defensive Player of the Year award, marking the second straight year the senior from Brooklyn, N.Y. has been given the accolade.

Dacko will be coaching in her first Atlantic 10 tournament, and while the road to Kingston has been rough for her crew, she remains positive.

“I’m pleased with the way we played the first half against Duquesne,” she said, “but there’s still things we have to work on. I didn’t have any expectations coming in.”

Dacko still remains cautious though, and with good reason. The Maroon and White showed plenty of spirit against the Dukes, but still allowed them back into the game after leading by as many as 16 points.

Judging from that clash with Duquesne, the result of tonight’s game could come down to the performance of Dacko’s five senior regulars – Butler, Smith, Pegues, Siiri Liivandi and Amber Sneed.

On Sunday, the seniors were the story – on Senior Day, no less – as all five reached double digits, and the quintet accounted for all but one of UMass’ 77 points.

If the Minutewomen win tonight, they’ll face West Division No. 2 seed Xavier, led by A-10 All-Conference first-teamers Amy Waugh and Reetta Piipari. UMass dropped a 77-65 decision to the Musketeers at the Cintas Center on Jan. 24.

Rounding out the first round matchups, East No. 4 Fordham and West No. 5 Duquesne will start off today’s games at noon. The Rams are led by All-Conference first-teamer Mobolaji Akiode (16.8 ppg, 5.5 rebounds per game), while the Flyers counter with first-teamer Beth Friday (14.4 ppg).

Following Fordham-Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and Richmond square off. Courtney Mattingly (12.0 ppg) leads the Bonnies and Ebony Tanner (16.3 ppg) heads the Spiders.

Finally, host Rhode Island will square off against Dayton. The Rams feature Denise King (13.3 ppg) and the Flyers are led by Stefanie Miller (11.9 ppg).

The championship game is scheduled for Monday at 5 p.m. Temple, led by all-defensive player Stacey Smalls, will look to defend its title.