the SOURCE

STORRS, Conn. – The Chieftains, the world’s most famous exponents of traditional Irish music, will perform on Thursday at 8 p.m. at the University of Connecticut’s Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts. Guest artists, including Irish step dancers and country music singer Allison Moorer, will join The Chieftains for their Jorgensen performance.

With 40 albums and a career that spans four decades, the Chieftains are not only Ireland’s official musical ambassadors, they have also become arguably the world’s most enduring and influential force in establishing the international appeal of Celtic music.

Paddy Moloney, the Chieftains’ founder and frontman, established the Chieftains’ authentic Irish instrumental sound in 1962 when he first brought together a group of talented local Dublin musicians. The group’s first four albums, recorded between 1963 and 1974, quickly established its worldwide reputation.

To learn more, visit the Chieftains’ web site at www.irish.com. Tickets are $20 to $35, with discounts available for students and seniors. For tickets and information, call the Jorgensen Box Office at 860-486-4226.

EASTHAMPTON, Mass. – Local musicians Mya Elaine, Becca Lucia ‘ Andrea Coller will perform Saturday at 8 p.m. at the Pioneer Arts Center of Easthampton (P.A.C.E.), 41 Union St., Easthampton.

Elaine just released her first album, “Getting Deep In Roots.” With a variety of styles, her music keeps attention and earns respect. Her focus is on strong lyrics backed by hard, rhythmic guitar.

Weaned on classical opera and saved by the blues, singer-songwriter Lucia has been luring fans with her majestic voice and treating listeners to her whirlwind of storytelling and vocal improvisations for over two years. After being welcomed back from an extended stay in Italy, where much of her music has been inspired, this young female star has taken the Pioneer Valley performance scene by storm, dazzling music lovers of all tastes with what can be described as “acoustic-blues-operatic-folk-rock.” Andrea Coller’s music evokes a melancholy passion for life. Her lyrics administer love to the lonely and longing to the fulfilled.” – Josh Shear, The Journal Bravo.

Tickets are on sale at the P.A.C.E. box office for $5, $3 for members.

HOLYOKE, Mass. – It could be said that Will Brilhart’s upcoming concert is a concert of a lifetime. On Sunday, he will perform Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A Minor with the Holyoke Civic Symphony. Brilhart is a psychologist who specializes in musicians’ issues such as performance anxiety. Last year, he had a life-threatening medical condition, from which he has since recovered. When he was fighting for his life in the hospital, he lamented the fact that he had never performed a concerto with an orchestra. He resolved that if he got out of the hospital, he would do just that. His incentive during his recovery was preparing the Grieg concerto so he could perform it with HCS. In addition, he will also perform Robert Wendel’s April Fool Concerto, a hilarious pastiche in the style of P.D.Q. Bach.

The program, which will include several People’s Choice selections and an Irish sing-along, will be held at 3 p.m. at Holyoke High School. It is free and open to the public.

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – NYC-based performer Anne Heaton will be performing Friday, March 21 at the Pace Theater. She just released her first studio album in the fall “Black Notebook” came out on Spill Records on Sept. 17. It features catchy, soaring melodies with great emotional pull and smart lyrics. The album boasts backing band members such as Shawn Pelton (drummer, Saturday Night Live band) and Michael Visceglia (Suzanne Vega).