Anger Management’ provides young America with therapeutic humor

According to the smiles plastered to virtually all faces that attended the debut of “Anger Management” this weekend, this movie might’ve been titled “Therapy for Young America.” During a time of war and unceasing winter weather, this film provides consistent comic relief. For the majority of local college kids, you couldn’t ask for more from this movie. If you’ve never seen a fat cat in a jogging suit, here is your chance. However, those of you who seek mature humor and enlightening plot structure will be disappointed by this formulaic comedy.

Sandler’s character Dave Buznik is falsely accused of reacting violently to various ridiculous situations. Forced to undergo an intensive 30-day anger management program run by sadistic and psychopathic Dr. Rydell (Nicholson) Buznik’s life is turned upside down. The final faceoff between patient and therapist is staged at Yankee stadium and makes for a grand final, an over the top resolution that is satisfying in its unashamed idiocy.

The chemistry between Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson is fabulous. For such an unlikely screen pair to work together in a way that neither acts the other under the table is amazing. Although the film allows both actors to shine, the goofball humor and unlikely plot certainly favors the type of comedy that is familiar ground for Sandler. It is not surprising that this film is produced by Happy Madison Productions. On the other hand, this role makes it apparent that Nicholson is one of the most versatile actors of our times as he successfully adapts to the Sandler mold.

The secondary characters are by no means second rate actors, and thus the film treats viewers to a game of “name that star” similar to “Austin Powers.” John Turturro (the war-obsessed Grenada veteran), Woody Harrelson (the drag-queen prostitute) and Heather Graham (the voluptuous Boston Red Sox fan/psycho) create a stupidly outrageous, laugh-until-you-cry atmosphere. Cameos from Bobby Knight, Roger Clemens, Rudy Giuliani and Derek Jeter target the sports fans in the audience. Throughout the film, a Yankees vs. Red Sox theme is appropriate and all too familiar to the East Coast audience.

The humor in “Anger Management” exists in a world where it has become increasingly difficult to speak without being accused of politically incorrectness and where war anxieties are tightening security measures to radical extremes. These are times of restriction, hesitation and meditation and a good portion of the humor is pointed at these uncomfortable times.

Making light of serious issues can result in distasteful insensitivity, but within the confines of this film the jokes are received gratefully. The audience laughs, as Sandler is wrongfully accused of terrorizing an airline attendant and making a racist statement. The audience laughs not because these issues are funny (when they are relevant) but because Sandler’s character is innocent and his being subjected to this kind of awkward accusation is all too familiar to Americans today.

We laugh out of relief upon realizing we are all equally affected by these issues. No one can laugh away the seriousness of the state the world is in, but to laugh every now and then is perhaps the therapy we all should seek.