Bicyclers rally on wheels against war

In the midst of chilling temperatures and freezing rain Friday evening, over 20 artists, activists, and bicyclers met on the Amherst town common for a “Critical Mass” anti-war bike rally, which traveled to Northampton.

Participants in the event brandished colorful handmade signs, dressed in bright clothing for safety, and remained upbeat despite the bad weather.

Billed as a celebration, the event was intended to counter the stereotype that student activists are always acting in opposition to things.

“So often the [anti-war] movement is framed as something built on negativity, angry voices always shouting against something,” said University of Massachusetts STPEC major Erika Arthur, one of the bike rally’s organizers. “We want to show that we also have a vision for something better.”

Critical Mass is a movement, begun in 1992 in San Francisco that now has tens of thousands of participants internationally. Sometimes boasting as many as 3,000 riders, streets are taken over from motor vehicle traffic, if only for a short while. The intent was to show that there are alternatives to petroleum-based transportation.

Typically held on the last Friday of every month, the events are renowned for their outlandish costuming, artfully decorated bikes, and generally festive air. The ride from Amherst to Northampton was no exception.

At around 5:00 p.m., people started congregating on the common. Introductions were made, doughnuts and water were distributed, and colorful signs were affixed to the bikes using duct tape.

The signs, bearing statements like “gardens not bombs,” and “Americans need a new dream,” were crafted the night before at a preparatory meeting at the Root 9 Collective in Hadley, a non-profit space for art and activism.

The Collective was formed last year to provide a creative outlet for activists who found themselves frustrated and disillusioned with recent world events. Members recently returned from a successful Northeastern touring production of “Oiligarchy,” political theater aimed at the worldwide drive for petroleum resources.

The bike rally was intended to follow a similar theme. “For this specific action we are riding to protest the war in Iraq,” Arthur said, “but more importantly to put into action our visions of peace, democracy, and safe and sustainable transportation alternatives.”

After outlining a game plan that emphasized safety for all the bicyclists, the group gathered into a cohesive traveling unit and moved to Route 9.

After a short while, they were met with a police escort. This ensured angry motorists wouldn’t attempt to disrupt the group, as has happened in some semi-violent confrontations in San Francisco. At times, vehicle traffic was backed up for a mile, but the bikers reached Northampton later that evening without incident.

The group has plans to restage the event this Friday at the same time, hoping for more favorable weather conditions. There are also plans to consolidate efforts with MassBike Pioneer Valley, the official Critical Mass group that rides on the last Friday of every month.

For more information on Critical Mass, contact MassBike via e-mail at: [email protected]. For more information on the Root 9 Collective, call (413) 586-4792.