Caught between eras of greatness

There have been some great athletic accomplishments in the three years I have covered UMass sports teams for The Daily Collegian. The men’s lacrosse team has established itself as one of the best programs in the nation. The softball team has dominated the Atlantic 10 and been in and out of the top 25 – an amazing accomplishment for a team in New England. Men’s soccer enjoyed four seasons of Jeff Deren and women’s basketball enjoyed Jen Butler.

But overall, I’ve always felt that I was at UMass during the wrong four years. After all, I got here when Bruiser Flint and the men’s basketball team were on their way down, the hockey team was rebuilding and the football team was too young.

It’s too bad that so many exciting and interesting things are going to happen after I graduate in May. Here’s a list of the top nine things I wish I could cover for The Collegian:

No. 9) Baseball’s Young Pitching Staff

Mike Crane, Matt Torra, Scott Ratliff, John Toffey and a handful of others – all freshmen or sophomores – will make UMass one of the best teams in the A-10 over the next few years.

No. 8) Women’s Soccer

Erin Lilly, Michelle Luttati and Kelly Nigh have been dramatically improving over the last three years and will all have great seasons. The talented youth coach Jim Rudy has blended with these leaders should certainly pay off next year.

No. 7) Kelli Arnold

Softball coach Elaine Sortino always seems to have at least one or two dominant pitchers on her roster. Three years ago, it was Carrie Jeffries and Jen Hadley. Last year it was Hadley and Kaila Holtz. This year it is Holtz and Arnold. While Jeffries, Hadley and Holtz are all excellent, Arnold, who is just a sophomore, may eventually be lumped in with some of the greatest pitchers in school history.

No. 6) Katie Nelson

I covered the young point guard from day one, interviewing her after the 3-point shooting clinic she put on in her first exhibition game as a Minutewomen. Having averaged 39 minutes per game her freshman year, Nelson improved this year before being sidelined with a knee injury. If she can return healthy, Nelson should be able to give coach Marnie Dacko two very solid seasons and become one of the cornerstones for what will be a tough rebuilding process.

No. 5) Men’s Lacrosse

The Minutemen could go all the way this year and I would miss it. The final four is over Memorial Day weekend, which also happens to be graduation weekend – something I’m not allowed to miss. They are currently ranked No. 3 in the nation. Coach Greg Cannella’s squad hasn’t peaked yet, though, as he has been bringing in strong recruits year after year. Cannella’s bunch will be in the hunt every year. He is just starting to scratch the surface.

No. 4) Gray Wolves

I have been unable to speak on this process with anyone – public or private – because of some extenuating circumstances, but I have to admit that I am very interested in what the Athletic Department decides to do with this matter. Whatever the University decides, whether it is to change the mascot as a whole or simply touch up the Minuteman, it will certainly be a significant change. Either way, we should only have to wait a month or so for this issue to be resolved.

Hopefully, I’ve been able to lend some important insight to what must be a tough decision for Athletic Director Ian McCaw and Co.

No. 3) Next year’s football team

The football team had to suffer through a few disappointing seasons to get to this point, but it is paying off. Though the Minutemen would have made a run at the I-AA National Championship if quarterback Jeff Krohn didn’t miss two games – both losses – due to injury. The team was 8-4 overall, 8-2 in games Krohn started. No. 7 will be back under center in 2003 for his senior year and will have reigning A-10 Rookie of the Year R.J. Cobbs in the backfield. Combined with what promises to be one of the best defenses in I-AA next season and the Minutemen have to be a good preseason pick to win it all.

No. 2) Lappas’ tough road

What a job. You have to overhaul an entire basketball program that enjoyed a few years of glory seven years ago. You have to get certain type of players – completely opposite from most of those remaining – in order to run the systems you have proven successful time and again. And you have to do it while the masses compare your growing pains to the glory days, which have been erased due to cheating.

Lappas has been getting bad news, it seems, ever since a very tough 11-18 season. Last year’s prize recruit, Mike Lasme, transferred after one year at UMass. The recruit signed to replace him this year, Maurice Maxwell, saw the Providence Journal’s pile of B.S. a few weeks ago – stating that Lappas would be bought out (completely false) – and decided to think about his other options. And assistant coach Chris Walker, who is a fabulous recruiter, decided to leave for opportunities in the private business sector. Hopefully, this is the end of the fallout, Maxwell will come to his senses and the men’s basketball team will start moving in the right direction.

No matter what, this team has a strong nucleus of young players. Next year’s probable starting five: Anthony Anderson, Art Bowers, Jeff Viggiano, Stephen Briggs and Gabe Lee – with Rashaun Freeman pushing to crack the lineup – should be the best lineup, in terms of pure basketball talent, this program has had in quite a long time. Hopefully, Lappas and Co. can hold this thing together – and keep the fans at bay – long enough to bring the program back into the national spotlight.

No. 1) Cahoon-a-ville

I may actually have to come back for this one, even if it has to be as an alum in the stands. You aren’t going to believe what is in store for the fans and the UMass hockey team next year. I was fortunate enough to attend a focus group with Coach Cahoon and he is working hard to make the games more enjoyable for the fans and livelier in support of the team. I’m not going to spoil any of the details, but the UMass hockey games are going to be a pre-party must on weekends and the title to this section will mean more than you could ever imagine.

Never mind that Greg Mauldin, Gabe Winer, Thomas Pock, Marvin Degon and Stephen Werner will all be a year older and wiser, coming off the most impressive postseason run in program history. The Minutemen took this area by storm at the end of the season and will only get better and better.

Man, what bad timing I’ve had.

Jim Pignatiello is a Collegian Columnist.