Course offering made available on Web

A printable copy of the University of Massachusetts’ course offering is available on the Registrar’s Web site as of today.

The file is in PDF format and available on the Registrar’s website (www.umass.edu/registrar). Students may print the whole thing or just the pages concerning their major.

Undergraduate Registrar Elizabeth Pyle’s office created the PDF files after faculty and students complained that a tangible copy of the courses was not available. Students and faculty said that they would find it helpful to have a printed copy to consult while online listings were down or running slow. For others who live off-campus or do not have access to the Internet as often as those in dormitories, the printed copy will allow, as in years past, students to list possible courses before logging on to see what is available.

Pyle warns, however, that the printed copy will be static, and will not show whether the courses still have open seats and availability, which is what she believes is of ultimate importance to registering students.

Course listings were only available online through the SPIRE network for spring 2003 registration. Following the University’s first registration with the SPIRE network, the Faculty Senate moved to request from the Registrar the availability of a printed copy.