Cross leads Minutewomen past Maine

Brandi Cross is a terror.

After going 5-for-6 with six runs batted in, three runs including a huge homer, Cross was all the offense needed for the No. 25 Massachusetts softball team to prevail in this afternoon’s doubleheader at the UMass softball complex. The Minutewomen cruised to a pair of wins in their home opener, 6-1 and 5-0, over Maine.

Cross was a dominating force her freshman year (.383 batting average, nine homers and 37 RBIs), but struggled over the last two. This season, she’s on her way to an All-American selection with a .354 BA, nine homers, and 27 RBIs in a meager 29 games. Cross plans to make the best of her last year on the diamond.

“I’ve just relaxed a lot more this year,” said Cross, with a beaming smile. “I’ve taken all that pressure of trying to repeat my freshman year off. Now, it’s my senior year, I’m just out there trying to have a good time and it’s working.”

Providing the firepower from the hill as well were aces Kaila Holtz and Kelli Arnold. After seven innings of work, Holtz scattered three hits and gave up one unearned run while fanning 10 Blackbears. After hurling her way to victory, Holtz added a hit and a RBI as the designated player to help Arnold’s cause.

In the shortened evening contest, Arnold impressed by shutting down the A-10 rival allowing four hits with four strikeouts before the game called in the fifth inning due to darkness.

Between the sun setting and the damp, December-like weather in April, it wasn’t a good month for softball. UMass coach Elaine Sortino was happy the weather didn’t give Maine an advantage.

“I’m glad we could do what we could, even though we couldn’t get loose,” Sortino said. “I hope we have some better weather. It’s not a good day to play softball. It’s way too cold.

Cold is a neutralizer. If a team has a physical advantage over the other team, like Maine, they can neutralize that in a hurry. Anything can happen under the right conditions.”

The Maroon and White have now won 10 straight games and improve their home-winning streak to 42 straight games, including 19 openers. With 10 more home games in 10 days, the players and the coaches aren’t feeling the pressure.

“We’re just so excited to be home,” Holtz said. “I can’t even tell you how good it feels to be back on this field. We could have 16 or 20 games in 12 days, it doesn’t matter. The atmosphere and the fan support here is the best. We just love playing here.”

The next opponent attempting to break the home-winning streak is the St. Joseph’s Hawks. The doubleheader is slated to begin at 3 p.m. tomorrow at the Massachusetts Softball Complex.