Firing back at Byron Scott

During a radio interview with WFAN’s Mike Francesa Wednesday, Byron Scott made childish, generalized insults about Boston Celtics fans. Scott remarked how Boston fans get “juiced up” from drinking before games and how African-American athletes are hardly becoming embraced within the city. Well last time I checked, beer and sports is somewhat of a national pastime. But wait, there’s more.

When Francesa asked “if Boston is still a backwoods town when dealing with black athletes,” Scott’s true opinion became evident.

“I think there’s a part of that up there,” Scott replied. “They’re not very good fans. You could be a great fan and have a great tradition without being crazy and hostile.”

“Sacramento has the best fans,” Scott boasted. “They don’t get outrageous like the Boston fans.”

As a Celtic fan, I’m insulted for my years of sober and slightly drunken dedication to the team I love. I would pay to see Danny Angie give the former Laker a right hook to the jaw like back in the day.

First of all, what arena doesn’t have drunk fans in it? You mean to tell me he can sit down and call my fellow Boston fanatics a bunch of lushes on a New York radio station? Have you ever seen a game at Madison Square Garden? It used to be full of a bunch of drunken morons who aren’t noticed anymore, because their team just flat out sucks. The fact is that anyone who drinks is going to drink before any game, regardless of what team they root for. To single out one arena and one group of fans is highly unprofessional, and the NBA should take action.

On the topic of accepting black athletes, I don’t think anything could be further from the truth. Our city was home to one of the greatest black athletes of his time, Bill Russell. The Dean of Defense wasn’t accepted everywhere he went, but we loved him. After numerous championships as a player and coach, he will be “embraced” by Boston forever.

Not to mention Paul Pierce is the most popular Celtic since Larry Bird. The French Lick legend is the most white basketball player of all-time and happens to be the beloved of Boston’s sons, but that’s still not saying anything about accepting African-American athletes. You need evidence to make a bold statement like the one Scott made, but he didn’t have any.

“The fans, they’re very cruel and they’re crazy,” Scott cried, while breaking out a new box of tissues. “They come into the game