Hurricane Isabel heading for East coast

MIAMI – Hurricane Isabel weakened slightly yesterday but was still a powerful Category 4 storm as it plowed across the Atlantic Ocean on a course that could slam it into the central East Coast late this week.

“It’s looking more and more likely that this is going to be a big event for the eastern United States,” National Hurricane Center meteorologist Eric Blake said Sunday.

Computer models predict that weather conditions over the East Coast should prevent Isabel from turning back out to sea and missing land, hurricane specialist Stacy Stewart said.

“Landfall along the U.S. mid-Atlantic coast somewhere between North Carolina and New Jersey between four or five days (Thursday or Friday) is appearing more and more likely,” Stewart said. “Little or no significant weakening is expected to occur until after landfall occurs.”

In Wilmington, N.C., John Byrnes had already stocked up with 25 sheets of plywood Sunday and enough two-by-fours and screws to barricade the windows at his house, his in-laws’ house and their downtown law office.

His household generator was ready and he had an extra tank of propane gas to run appliances.

“We’re all pretty much taken care of,” Byrnes said. “We’re in standby mode.”

At 5 p.m. EDT, Isabel’s maximum sustained wind speed was 155 mph – 1 mph below the minimum for Category 5 – and down 5 mph from earlier measurements. Experts had said it would be extremely unusual for Isabel to maintain Category 5 strength as it moved north over cooler water.

The storm was centered about 900 miles southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. Hurricane-force wind of at least 74 mph extended 100 miles out from the center.

It was moving toward the west-northwest at about 13 mph, and was expected to continue on that path into Monday, then turn toward the Carolinas, possibly making landfall Thursday or Friday. Forecasters note that hurricanes can be unpredictable, and long-range forecasts have large possibilities for error.

In Washington, D.C., emergency officials were working on acquiring additional sandbags, and planned to begin a public education campaign and meet with other department and critical services leaders Monday.

“Then we’re going to pray,” said Peter LaPorte, director of the Emergency Management Agency.

In Charleston, S.C., Joe Walker said he didn’t evacuate in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo blasted ashore and he probably won’t leave if Isabel veers into his area.

“If it’s going to come, it’s going to come,” Walker said.

The last Category 5 Atlantic hurricane was Mitch in 1998, which killed about 11,000 people in Central America. The last two Category 5 hurricanes to strike the United States were Andrew in 1992 and Camille in 1969.

The Atlantic hurricane season began June 1 and ends Nov. 30.