Liechtenstein: The Bad and the Ugly

Liechtenstein: The Bad and the Ugly

It’s time that our United States cuts off all relations with a certain Western European country. This country, an economic hub in the heart of Europe, stands against everything that we Americans stand for. It is time for economic boycott, sanction and if necessary, military intervention.

And no, I’m not talking about France, although they deserve it. It was a sad time this past spring when the dangerous nation of Liechtenstein moved a bit closer to becoming a dictatorship, endangering us all.

Just because we can’t pronounce or spell a country’s name doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist and that it isn’t an integral part of the world scene. The influence of Liechtenstein is under-appreciated and is regrettably far greater than one would expect. Much to my disappointment, the United States – despite all logic – has nonetheless retained good relations with this rogue state, which has sought nothing more than to spread misery across the global spectrum.

Yes, Liechtenstein is a country. It may not be as large as ours, but then again, what country is these days? For those of you who don’t go to the fine higher learning institute of UMass, Liechtenstein is a prosperous, landlocked country nestled between the ruthless Swiss and unpredictable Austrians.

Unfortunately, this past March, Prince Hans Adams II put through changes in the constitution giving him the ability to sack the government, veto legislation and nominate judges. Unlike our nation, where the executive, judicial and legislative branches limit each other’s powers and are each separate, Liechtenstein is controlled by one mad man.

Liechtensteinians are, alas, sexist as well. Women were only given the right to vote for parliament in 1984. A few years ago, proposals asking for equal rights for women to be protected in the constitution had been rejected. It’s just one more of the many differences between them and us.

As America throws troops around to protect democracy and freedom throughout the world, where are they in Liechtenstein? Why are we supporting such a country at such a time when even the Czech Republic doesn’t recognize the sovereignty of Liechtenstein? In fragile Europe, where a war sparks up every century, such threats simply cannot be allowed to exist. I’m sorry if I’m offending any of the Liechtenstein Americans who attend UMass, but this has to be put to an end.

It’s a real shame that UMass is so pro-Liechtenstein, with its powerful student organization holding rallies, throwing around petitions and other nonsense. But if there is a country out there that we should oppose, it’s certainly Liechtenstein. To start, all Liechtenstein foods should be banned from the DC and Liechtenstein Studies should be cut as a major. This would save us money and help put a halt to the spread of their anti-freedom like ways.

Not to mention that dictator Hans Adams II is hoarding his nation’s wealth and keeping it from his people. In fact, its hard to believe, but the queen of England is no longer the richest monarch in Europe, beat by the greedy Liechtenstein monarchy to third place. Hans Adams II and family has over three billion pounds in wealth, which regardless of what a pound is, is a heck of a lot more than Bulger’s going away present. Only beat by the sketchy Swedes and sly Luxembourgians, Liechtenstein is definitely axis of evil worthy.

One might dismiss such a nation as being not much of a threat, as it claims that its defense forces are only made up of about 100 policemen, but Liechtenstein is one country we should keep our eye on. With a land area totaling hundreds of square kilometers and laws in place that state that every male between 18 and 60 in a “national emergency” can be called up for military service, their armies could roll right through Europe.

Recently, some progress in the matter has been made, but sadly not enough. Not too long ago, the banks of Liechtenstein bowed to international pressure and agreed to stop allowing customers to operate accounts anonymously by going through intermediaries. Now all banks must know who their clients are. This will hopefully help stifle money laundering and hurt drug lords and mafias around the world.

The question is, why isn’t the media talking about this? They talk about other countries but always seem to stealthily avoid Liechtenstein. Maybe it’s because American companies have money in Liechtenstein banks, or Liechtenstein is controlling our media. But just because the media isn’t talking about this topic doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue. If you’re still wondering, I’m sure the UMass Communications Department has a good conspiracy story that can explain all of this.

The issue of Liechtenstein is an issue that each and every American is and should be worried about, and I must admit to have lost many a night’s sleep over this. Once again, a democracy in Europe is folding and turning into a dictatorship. This can only cause a domino effect, spreading country by country, nation by nation, until all of Europe becomes a dangerous continent of dictatorships hoarding wealth and limiting freedoms.

It is not only what is right, but it is a matter of national duty to embrace our values of freedom and democracy and let the Liechtensteinians know that they can’t take that away from us.

Gilad Skolnick is a Collegian Columnist.

Information from the BBC Web site was used in this article.