Minutewomen take out URI

After opening the season with an exciting 2-1 win over Quinnipiac, the Massachusetts women’s soccer team traveled to Kingston, R.I. to open

its Atlantic 10 season against the University of Rhode Island. The Minutewomen (2-0, 1-0 A-10) kept things rolling with a dominating second-half performance, and defeated the Rams, 4-1.

With the score tied 1-1 after the 67th minute, the Maroon and White tallied three goals from three different players. Sophomore midfielder Lindsey Bellini struck first off a penalty kick opportunity, and 11 minutes later, junior forward Lindsey Fairweather stole the ball from a defender and quickly found the back of the net as well.

Building off the momentum from the two quick goals, freshmen defender Stephanie Barrett sealed the 4-1 victory with a header in the 80th minute.

When asked about the clutch performance from his players, UMass coach Jim Rudy reflected on last season and his team’s attitude.

“This season, five of the six goals have been scored by a sophomore or a freshmen. By adding young shooters to the lineup, last season’s leading scorer Erin Lilly will have less pressure to perform after returning from injury.

“They want to do this so badly and don’t want anything to end up like last year,” Rudy said. “We got the potential to do, but the fact is we got all these younger people. Right now, the older players are the ones holding it together and the young are really getting it done.”

Though UMass dominated the second half, URI had the early momentum. Only 59 seconds into the game, Rhode Island senior Sarah Johnston scored on a cross from senior teammate Sarah McCalligett to give them the early 1-0 lead.

However in the 23rd minute, UMass sophomore defender Maggie LaBrode sent a long free kick from the sideline, where forward Adair Blyler flicked the ball past the goalie to tie the score.

Blyler has been on a tear in the early season, tying her freshman season total in goals, with three in just two games.

“She’s growing up very quickly. Last season, we threw her to the wolves,” Rudy said. “She wasn’t really ready to start last year, but she was made into a frontrunner. Adair has learned a lot this year. She’s very intelligent, attentive and just absorbs of it all.

“Also, she’s got a green light to express herself. When you are an attacker, you got to have individuality.”

Between the pipes, senior captain Kelly Nigh made seven saves to keep her team in the contest. The late UMass attack was too much for URI goalie Melissa Bargione, who only made one save.

“The things that Nigh had to deal with were basically crosses,” Rudy said. “She either had to box or catch the cross and did all of it very impressively. She is very intimidating to the other teams by the she can box the ball or take it out of the air with soft hands. She is just very impressive to watch.”

McCalliget, one of URI’s best players, had a good start to the game until Rudy substituted in one of his rookies, Nadia Villaroel, to defend her. With Villaroel’s fresh legs in the game, McCalliget was contained for the rest of the contest.