Recent developments in hormonal birth control

Sex-iversity is a question and answer column designed to provide important information and answers to questions regarding sex, sexuality, sexual orientation, sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and reproductive rights. Voiced by Julia Kristan, a member of Voices for Planned Parenthood (VOX) branch at the University of Massachusetts and an active volunteer for Planned Parenthood of Western Massachusetts, the column is intended to help educate the university community about reproductive health, rights, legislation and responsibilities. Much of the statistical information provided in this column derives from research done through and obtained by Planned Parenthood and its national affiliates.

Q: Have there been any recent developments in hormonal birth control for women? [Note to graphics; BOLD lettering]

A: Yes, there have been two original new developments in the past few years. Both the birth control patch and the hormonal vaginal ring called the “NuvaRing” were approved in late 2001. These two advancements have changed the daily pill-taking routine of hormonal birth control.

The birth control patch, put out by the Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical Company, is a thin square less than two inches in width and length. The patch is worn on the skin, where it time-releases hormones into your body. The adhesive lasts long enough and is strong enough to withstand exercise, showers and movement for the seven days it is worn. At the end of seven days, you switch to the next patch and repeat for a total of three weeks. On the fourth week, you do not wear a patch and you will menstruate.

Since the hormones are the same as or similar to oral contraceptives, benefits such as a less painful period come along with regular usage. This can be a great option for women who aren’t the best at remembering a daily pill.

There are downsides to the patch, and of course, before you try any new prescription you should talk with your doctor. For women over 198 pounds the patch has been found less effective, and similarly to other hormonal contraceptives, women are discouraged from smoking while on it.

The patch does not prevent sexually transmitted diseases. Please reread that sentence carefully. At this point only your classic condoms and abstinence do that job. The patch must be worn in one of the following places: the buttocks, abdomen, upper torso (front and back, breasts excluded) or on the outside of your bicep. Due to the fact that you have adhesive with hormones on your skin for three weeks, irritation in the area of the patch may occur. Because the patch is relatively new, many insurance companies will not cover it fully or at all, costing you $30 to $35 a month. Its effectiveness is comparable to the daily pill, at 98 to 99 percent when used correctly.

For women who may forget pills and patches, Organon Inc.’s “NuvaRing” is an exciting new contraceptive. It is just what it sounds like: a ring, less than two inches in diameter, made of flexible plastic. The “NuvaRing” is inserted into your vagina and left there for three weeks. Your body heat activates the release of the hormones from the ring over those 21 days, meaning you have your period in the remaining seven of the month.

I’m sure you ladies are thinking, “Whoa, INTO my vagina!?” Fear not, the ring is not felt when properly inserted, much like a tampon. Unlike a tampon though, it’s not made of absorbent, bulky material, so it fits more naturally and less noticeably in your body.

“But if it’s up there, what happens during sex?” The majority of couples report not feeling the ring, and most who do report it to be not intrusive to the mood or positive sensations. Additionally, the “NuvaRing” provides the lowest dose of hormones of any contraceptive out there at this point in time. As women and doctors have learned in the past, the lowest possible dosage to provide contraception and/or menstrual symptom relief is best.

The “NuvaRing” has one substantially different downside than the pill or the patch. Having the ring in your vagina for three weeks releasing hormones can cause irritation. Women who are prone to yeast infections and vaginal irritation are recommended to switch off the ring if they feel discomfort. The ring is a new product; many insurance companies are not covering it at all or are only providing partial coverage. The ring is $40 a month without insurance. It does not provide protection against sexually transmitted diseases. The contraceptive effectiveness is comparable to the pill at 98 to 99 correctly when used correctly. Bear in mind it’s a lot easier to use correctly because the stream of hormones is constant into your body.

In the months and years to come, keep your eyes and ears open for new developments. There are tests in the works for a male contraceptive, which would make sperm unable to fertilize an egg. Unfortunately, it’s far easier for the hormones to control one egg as opposed to thousands of sperm. Contraceptives remain in women’s bodies for now. Of course that doesn’t mean responsibility is solely on women, so grab your partner and go to the doctor. In same-sex relationships, get talking as well. Although pregnancy may not be an issue, hormonal contraceptives won’t prevent sexually transmitted illnesses, and they’re a health issue for us all.

When you go to your health practitioner, ask about the new options. Demand better medical care; advances clearly can be made when the pressure is on. We deserve the right to health care in all aspects of health.

As a final note, please research contraceptive options further before deciding on one. Only your doctor can prescribe them, and this column is not meant to replace information given by your doctor.

For more information, visit www.orthoevra.com and www.nuvaring.com.

Questions? Comments? E-mail arts@dailycollegian and subject the e-mail “Sex-iversity.”