Physics professor set to speak on “Einstein’s Biggest Blunder”

Professor Lawrence Krauss, department head of physics at Case Western Reserve University, will give a talk at the University of Massachusetts tomorrow. The lecture is called “Einstein’s Biggest Blunder, A Cosmic Mystery Story.” This lecture is part of the Five College’s Colloquium: What’s New in Physics?

Krauss will be speaking on cosmology, which is the study of the history of the universe.

A brief history: In 1915, Einstein created the general theory of relativity. The theory describes the motion of objects in the universe and the motion of the universe itself. The theory stated that the universe was not only expanding, but it was expanding with acceleration. The term that described this acceleration was the “cosmological constant.” However, according to public observation, Einstein’s theory did not appear to make sense. He called this problem his “biggest blunder” and removed the constant.

However, over the last 10 years, scientists have made observations that may prove the Cosmological Constant to be correct. Through the use of telescopes, satellites and mathematical interpretation, it appears that the universe may, in fact, be expanding outward at an accelerated speed. The source of the phenomenon is the result of some anti-gravity force, which is still a huge mystery to scientists.

Physicists and astronomers have observed this cosmological event by measuring the speeds at which stars are moving away from the Earth, as well as by observing the low levels of radiation – or microwaves – that pervade the universe.

“People have generally agreed that the universe is expanding because the world started with an explosion,” John Machta, head of the University of Massachusetts physics department, said. “But they also thought that gravity would slow it down.”

If this data is correct, a 20-year-old cosmology model will be replaced by an entirely new theory. If Einstein’s Cosmological Constant is true, it may even suggest that the most of the energy density of the universe may be held in space.

Professor Krauss is one of the most distinguished theoretical physicists in the country. His research interests involve cosmology, high energy physics and elementary particle physics. Among his other interests are exploding stars, dark matter and the early universe.

Krauss is well known for his best-selling book “The Physics of Star Trek.” The book examines the technology of the Star Trek television series and explains what aspects of the episodes are possible by the laws of physics and which are not.

Krauss will speak on Wednesday, Oct. 22, in Thompson 104, beginning at 7:30 p.m.