Racing game soars full throtle into the lead of its genera

Press Start to Play

F-Zero GX

System: Gamecube

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Amusement Vision

Rated: T for Teen

Released: 8/26/03

Grade: B+

An old classic returned to the market when Nintendo revamped “F-Zero GX” for Gamecube. The Super Nintendo classic has been given a total face-lift to fit in with the rest of the 3-D gaming world. The levels are some of the most mind-blowing racing levels ever. The drivers are very animated in the full motion video sequences and the machines are well built.

The game gives users the chance to build their own race pod. As you compete and complete levels of story mode, you get credits towards purchasing parts to create your vehicles or to purchase new racers to use in the Grand Prix mode. You can also compete with up to four players in multiplayer challenge.

Making your own ship will require taking some time using the ships you have available to you and finishing the levels of Grand Prix. If you make a machine with the first parts available, you are going to take a serious beating from the computer. With every Grand Prix level you finish, you earn credits and usually a new part comes into the shop for purchasing. If you play enough you can finally have the best parts available.

Creating a ship can be deceiving; each part is graded on how well they work. Just throwing three grade-A parts together doesn’t mean you’re winning any easy championships. It will take time to learn what parts work well together. It’s a bit of a task, but sometimes you luck out and build a very good machine.

Another part that makes building a racer enjoyable is the ability to change color of the parts and creating you own decals. You can pimp out your car so even if you eat the dust of the computer, you can do it in style.

Story mode is the weak point of the structure. Every chapter beyond chapter 2 will require you to purchase the next chapter. Not only that, but you pay more per chapter as you advance in story mode. This is an easier task if you go through Grand Prix mode a bunch of times, buy parts and racers, then keep playing until you have a load of credits saved up to buy the chapters.

“F-Zero GX” also carries the ‘frustration factor.’ This means there’s something that always seems to happen when you’re winning the race or you are two boosts away from taking the lead. In “F- Zero GX” the problems include falling off course, which will happen a lot, and the computer characters are apparently indestructible. The easiest way to surpass this factor is by practicing the tracks over and over until you know where to turn, boost, and slow down. Also, figuring out the correct acceleration and maximum speed choice will be best for each specific course. Sometimes you will find that going too fast will just make you go off track every time.

Overall, “F-Zero GX” is a good game for fans of the older version, racing games, and those who like good multiplayer games. The wide variety of game play makes this updated classic one with plenty of replay value, and it also has the ability to save the data to your memory card to use in the upcoming arcade version.

Reid Davenport is a Collegian columnist.