SGA’s first diversity roundtable meeting set for today

The year’s first diversity roundtable meeting convenes today, where students and administrators will have the opportunity to share their ideas of how to create a more welcoming and inclusive community at the University of Massachusetts.

Russell Plato, secretary of diversity issues in the Student Government Association, will facilitate the meeting, which takes place at 4 p.m. in room 163C of the Campus Center, with the hope of helping students identify areas of common concern and inspiring them to become proactive in the campus community.

“I would hope that students will form connections across the boundaries that sometimes separate us,” he said, “so that they will be able to identify some common goals.”

He said one of his primary goals is to provide an environment for students to communicate with members of the SGA and campus administration.

“The round table gives them a really good opportunity to talk to people that make decisions on this campus,” he said.

Some of the issues that Plato anticipates being addressed will have to do with cuts to the funding of English as a Second Language programs, the Restroom Revolution – a campaign for gender neutral restrooms. Also covered will be the recent change in the admission policy at UMass, whereby a point system for admission will no longer be utilized, as well as other concerns for academic and cultural support programs.

“I would expect that administrators will get a better feeling of how students feel about these issues,” he said. “[And] I would hope that they take those feelings into account when they make policy decisions.”

Plato said he is expecting 40 to 50 people, including about 30 faculty members, who have personally committed to attending.

“But anyone else is welcome to come,” he said. “I expect that more students will come through word of mouth.” He encourages students to invite anyone they think might be interested in attending.

Plato said he tried to identify campus offices such as housing, dining, admissions and various other academic programs related to diversity and personally send them, as well as University administrators, invitations to the event.

He said invitations were also sent to every Registered Student Organization via campus mail and email asking them to notify all of their members. He said every member of the SGA and area governments were invited as well.

“I really wanted RSOs and senators and everyone to be involved,” he said. “I hope for a large showing of students from the SGA,” he added.

According to Plato, who transferred to UMass in Spring 2002, this will be the first diversity round table meeting in at least the past two years. Plato said the Executive Cabinet position of Secretary of Diversity Issues in the SGA was not filled prior to his term. According to him, it is a requirement of his position to hold the meeting at least once per month.

Plato said he didn’t think it made sense to have a meeting this past September because the Senate had not yet been elected.

“People were still getting their bearings,” he said. He added that the frequency of additional meetings would be determined today. “The bylaws can be adjusted to what the campus needs,” he said.

According to Plato, the diversity roundtable is not a policy-making body, but he believes it will be useful for students to share their concerns. Plato said he would be providing guidance throughout the meeting.

“I’m looking forward to just having conversation,” he said. He believes the meeting will be a space where that conversation can take place.