Forecasting the All Americans

It’s that time of the year again. Another NCAA basketball season is under way and here are my picks for the All-Americans you should keep your eye on this season:

Point Guard – Raymond Felton – North Carolina, 6-foot-1 191 pounds, Soph.

New Tar Heels head coach Roy Williams has a lot to be excited about in this kid. As a diaper dandy last season, Felton showed his incredible playmaking ability, remaining under control and composed with the ball in his hands. His unlimited potential and athleticism gives him the chance to be the next great Carolina point guard, joining the ranks of Phil Ford and Ed Cota. The 400 points and 200 assists are the undeniable proof to back up the bold statement, since no other Tar Heel freshman has ever accomplished that feat.

Felton is a threat to average a double-double every game this season with super sophomores Rashard McCants and Sean May as his first two options.

In his final six games of the regular season, Felton averaged nearly 10 assists a game and will mostly likely expand upon those numbers in Williams’ fast break offense.

Honorable Mention: Dee Brown (Illinois), Chris Thomas (Notre Dame), Jameer Nelson (St. Joseph’s)

Shooting Guard – Rickey Paulding, Missouri, 6-foot-5, 218 pounds, Sr.

The perfect nickname for Paulding would have to be “The Show.” Why, you ask? Watch what happens when the Wooden Award Candidate touches the ball from anywhere on the court. If the defender plays him tight, he’ll blow by him with the most deadly first step in the Big 12 and put down a Sportscenter-worthy slam. Don’t leave him open either, as his 39-percent from behind the arc is nothing to challenge.

A scoring average of 17.4 points per game is impressive, but Paulding steps up his game in March. He is the all-time leader in NCAA Tournament points with 145 and averaged 27.5 ppg during his two March Madness games including a dazzling 36-point performance versus Marquette – the man knows how to put on a show.

Honorable Mention: Ben Gordon (UConn), Rashard McCants (UNC), Andre Emmett (Texas Tech)

Small Forward – Hakim Warrick, Syracuse, 6-foot-8, 185 lbs., Jr.

Freshman sensation and current Denver Nugget, Carmelo Anthony got his title and left Syracuse for the NBA limelight. But while ‘Melo’ received most of the hype, he could not have won the title without the presence of Warrick. Warrick, the Big East’s Most Improved Player, is one of the most athletic and explosive leapers in the nation with 80 dunks last season. Just ask Texas guard Rickey Ivey, the recipient of the worst facial in the history of basketball.

So while ‘Melo’ battles the big names in the Western Conference, the team is now in Warrick’s hands. Warrick showed his ability to step-up by more than doubling his freshman scoring (6.1 to 14.1 ppg) and improving his rebounding average by 3.7 boards (4.8 to 8.5). Warrick is a clutch performer, blocking Kansas’ Michael Lee’s last second trey to secure the title. Now with no around to share the spotlight, Warrick will be ready to join the elite.

Honorable Mention: Julius Hodge (N.C. State), Luke Jackson (Oregon), Josh Childress (Stanford)

Power Forward – Ike Diogu, Arizona State, 6-foot-8, 250 lbs., Soph.

If you have no idea who this monstrous force is, you will by the end of this season. The Pac-10 Freshman of the Year had an great freshman season after not being heavily recruited by the big name programs, as Ike was the only player in the Pac-10 to place in the top five in scoring (19.0 ppg) and rebounding (7.8 rpg). The low-post scoring machine scored in double digits in every game, and posted the third highest freshman scoring average in the history of the Pac-10.

His incredible power and intense competitiveness gives him the ability for a 20-point and 10-rebound performance every night.

Honorable Mention: Wayne Simien (Kansas) James Thomas (Texas), Darius Rice (Miami)

Center – Emeka Okafor, UConn, 6-foot-9, 252 lbs, Jr.

Emeka Okafor is the 21st century version of Bill Russell. Okafor is not close to the level of the Dean of Defense, but his potential to get there is boundless. The Big East Defensive Player of the Year posted impressive 2003 averages of 15.9 ppg, 11.2 rpg and 4.73 blocks per game. His career average four swats (4.41 bpg) is an all-time best in Big East History, with Georgetown and Knick legend Patrick Ewing in a distant second (3.98).

Okafor is the most intelligent and dedicated player UConn coach Jim Calhoun could ask for. He has started all 67 games in his career, improving game by game. Look for Okafor to win the Wooden Award with averages of 18 ppg, 13 rpg, and 5 bpg before being No. 1 pick overall in 2004 NBA draft.

Honorable Mention: Paul Davis (Michigan State), Arthur Johnson (Missouri), Sean May (UNC)