Marlin wins in court

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – A federal civil jury spent 10 minutes deliberating before deciding that NASCAR driver Sterling Marlin was innocent of assault for throwing a man into the Jamaican surf. The decision was announced late Wednesday.

Joel Whitcomb of Pittsfield, Mass., sued Marlin, claiming he injured his knee and shoulder when Marlin shoved him into the water.

Marlin, who lives in Columbia, contended he could not have hurt the man. Besides, he testified Monday, he had every right to stand his ground when the plaintiff accused him of being a cheater.

Whitcomb went with his wife to Jamaica in December 2001 for a promotional beach holiday that drew NASCAR aficionados from across the United States.

Whitcomb, a Dale Earnhardt Jr. fan, went with his wife, Julia, who likes Bill Elliot, according to testimony in the two-day trial before Senior U.S. District Judge Thomas A. Higgins.

In Jamaica they found themselves at a beachfront resort, where they could mingle with the drivers by night and join teams to compete in the sunny beach Olympics that organizers staged on the sand. The Whitcombs were pleased to find themselves on Dale Jr.’s team.

Joel Whitcomb competed in almost all the events, including the tug of war between the Earnhardt’s fans and Marlin’s fans. The men from both teams each won once, leaving the rubber match to the women.

When the women from Marlin’s team began to lose, Marlin reached in and grabbed the rope as if to aid their cause. Marlin told the jury he was just horsing around and didn’t really pull.

Joel Whitcomb concluded otherwise. Testimony from the witness stand and from depositions showed that he told Marlin that he thought the driver was a cheater – always had been, always would be – and jabbed his finger into Marlin’s chest.

“I thought he needed to be cooled off,” Marlin told the court.

Marlin said he grabbed Whitcomb by the swim trunks and t-shirt and shoved him toward the ocean, where Whitcomb landed in about two feet of water. He came up spitting water and insults, testimony showed.

Whitcomb’s wife testified that her husband’s knee soon began to swell, requiring a trip to the doctor and several months of rehabilitation.