The latest developments on male contraception

Sex-iversity is a question and answer column designed to provide important information and answers to questions regarding sex, sexuality, sexual orientation, sexually transmitted infections and reproductive rights. Voiced by Julia Kristan, a member of the Voices for Planned Parenthood (VOX) group here at the University of Massachusetts and an active volunteer for the Everywoman’s Center on campus, the column is intended to help educate the University community about reproductive health, rights, legislation and responsibilities. Much of the statistical information provided in this column derives from research done through and obtained by Planned Parenthood and its national affiliates.

Q. What’s the latest news on male contraception?

A. Lately there has been a lot of talk regarding male hormonal contraceptive developments. The news has centered on the recent moderate successes of trial birth control pills for men. While research for male contraceptives has been ongoing for approximately 50 years, progress has been slow, despite several promising options. This has been due largely to the lack of financial backing and social ideologies.

From churches opposing any contraceptive options, to our society’s tradition of placing contraception completely in women’s hands, to women not trusting men with control of contraception, there are many layers to the problem of getting the research funded.

Currently men have three basic options for contraception. They can get a vasectomy, use a condom or pull out. Vasectomies are rarely reversible, and surgery is a frightening idea for many men.

Condoms are a wonderful option, as they prevent STD transmission while providing contraceptive benefits. Many men and their partners, however, don’t like to use them. Condom usage normally has a failure rate of three to 15 percent over a year, and many couples don’t like the reduced spontaneity.

There’s a name for a man who uses the “pull out” method: Dad. But pulling out before ejaculation is an ineffective method of contraception that does not protect against STDs.

Using the male contraceptive pill is one option that has received attention lately because of its moderate successes in trials; it would be a fourth option for men wanting contraception. It works similarly to the female pill. Sperm is produced in the male body by the production of certain levels of testosterone. The pill gives men a higher dosage than what is normal to shut down sperm production. In trials, some men have shown a complete shutdown in sperm production, while others have drastically reduced sperm counts. The main problem is getting the pill to be consistent and effective for all men, because just one sperm is needed for conception.

The pill for men is similar to a weekly shot of hormones for males that aims to shut down sperm production as well. The hormonal methods for men have shown to take approximately one-and-a-half to two-and-a-half months to begin working effectively. This time span is akin to some of today’s birth control pills for women. Sperm production resumes after a few months off the hormonal method.

When I asked a friend of mine if he would go on the pill, he answered, “If there were no side effects.” As I gritted my teeth, thinking of the myriad of side effects that women have to go through for effective hormonal contraceptives, I told him that there were a few. Through trial testing, acne, weight gain, decrease in libido and changes in mood have been reported. The side effects are very similar to those reported by women on hormonal contraceptives.

With all the hope and success of the pill or shot for men, it might be anywhere from five to 10 years before we see such options on the market. Researchers have to make the methods more consistent, study the side effects and go through the FDA to get approval before you’ll hear men talking about how much they enjoy being in control of contraception or how annoying or difficult it is to deal with the side effects.

Women have been taking this research with a variety of responses. Some are excited to know their partner might someday be able to help prevent unwanted pregnancies. Others say they could never trust a man to take the pill regularly and would still want contraception in their own hands. Personally, I see this as a welcome avenue of research because safe, effective contraception is an issue for us all. With a growing number of options available, we will be able to more adeptly care for all members of our society. This is a step in the right direction to have every child be a wanted and loved child.

On the web: www.malecontraceptives.org.

Questions? Comments? E-mail [email protected]. Confidentiality is always respected.