Flu vaccine shortage affects UMass students

A shortage in the supply of flu shots is affecting University Health Services and causing many sick students who are requesting the vaccine to be turned away.

UHS administers flu shots regularly and has even held workshops for students to receive a shot that will prevent the infection for a low cost.

Recently, the Center for Disease Control announced that the nation’s supply of vaccines has run out, and vaccines at individual health centers and hospitals are very limited.

The University is taking drastic measures by only allowing those who have a significant threat of contracting the flu to receive the shot. Because it is recognized that influenza affects mostly infants and the elderly, nurses at health services are giving priority to high-risk patients.

Students who wish to receive the vaccination must go through an evaluation to assess their individual needs for the shot, UHS said.

Jacob Annis, an administrator at UHS, said there is too limited a supply for just anyone to come in and qualify for the vaccine. Health centers around the country are experiencing unprecedented requests for the immunization.

“Typically, urgent care is very slow this time of year,” Annis said, “but we’re getting swamped right now with patients who are experiencing flu symptoms.”

Although it is too late for students who have the flu to receive a shot, many who are sick feel frustrated that there is nothing UHS can do, Annis said.

Francine Lynch, a UMass student who is sick with the flu, said she was told by UHS that it was the worst case they’ve seen this year. As for medication or ways to alleviate the symptoms, there is nothing that UHS can do for her.

“I waited at Health Services all night during the snow and all they basically told me was, ‘You have the worst case we’ve seen,’ and sent me home,” she said.

Lynch said that she has been running a fever and experiencing chest pains and body aches.

The only thing she can do is wait it out, she said.

Nicole Gatto, a junior economics major, wanted to receive a vaccine from UHS and was turned away.

“They told me that I was in good health and probably didn’t need one, but I’m scared if I do come in contact with people who have the flu,” she said. “I mean, we all live in such close quarters, people are bound to spread it.”

UHS said it is receiving a final shipment of vaccinations tomorrow, but after that is gone, there will be no more for the season. They are planning on vaccinating those who make appointments ahead of time and are evaluated first.

One hundred sixty-six people have made appointments for tomorrow, UHS said.

Cooley Dickinson Hospital said this illness would affect millions and contribute to possible 70,000 deaths.

Requests have been made to deliver more of the vaccination; however, it takes four months to make the vaccine, and at that point, the influenza season will be over.