Head-on collision sends two to hospital

Two motor vehicles collided around 3:30 p.m. yesterday in a head-on accident that shattered glass, deployed an airbag and sent the two male drivers to area hospitals.

The accident, which happened close to the driveway of 439 E. Pleasant St., involved a maroon Chevrolet pickup truck with Massachusetts plate number 177 9CE and a maroon Chevrolet Corsica with Massachusetts plate number 215 TYD.

According to Chief Keith Hoyle of the Amherst Fire Department, one driver was taken to Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield and the other was taken to Holyoke Hospital.

Both drivers appeared to be wearing their seatbelts, said Officer Todd Lang of the Amherst Police Department.

The names of neither driver could be released because of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Hoyle said.

Items found inside one of the vehicles included a University of Massachusetts Stockbridge School of Agriculture key chain and an Amherst Regional High School parking permit.

The Corsica appeared to be badly damaged. The inside of the front of the car was completely exposed, and the engine was pushed back into the passenger compartment. The pickup truck also sustained heavy damage.

Officers blocked the flow of traffic upon arriving at the scene. A Pioneer Valley Transportation Authority bus was stuck in its southbound route, unable to continue through the scene of the accident and unable to turn around on the street.

At around 4:15 p.m., Amherst Towing Company began removing the two vehicles. A group of workers remained afterward to clear up the debris.

No one from the Amherst Police Department was available for further comment on the incident. Amherst Fire Department could not release any information about the identity of the victims or their medical statuses.