Making the Holidays fun

Final exams week is just around the corner, but that just means Christmas vacation is soon to follow. The stressful week ahead of most students will hopefully fade once we all head home and can play video games to our hearts content, without the knowledge that we are procrastinating on studying. The holiday season also means new fun toys from video game companies for boys and girls of all ages to be asking for.

Here are the top 20 games and accessories that should be on your list for this year.

10. “F-Zero GX” (Gamecube) – This racing game takes some getting used to, but if you want a more serious racing game than “Mario Kart Double Dash,” this is your pick.

9. “Super Mario Advanced 4: Super Mario 3” (GBA) – This is the revamped version of the classic “Super Mario Bros. 3” for the Game Boy Advanced. It has a new save feature and has the ability to use the “E-Card Reader” from the GBA.

8. “Grand Theft Auto Double Pack” (X-box) – There is nothing like running down people on sidewalks while listening to your favorite music. The GTA III and Vice City pack for the X-Box gives you two great games for the price of one. The updated graphics make both games still as addicting as they were on the PS2 along with a feature to play music that has been ripped onto your X-Box.

7. “Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield” (X-Box, PS2, GC, PC) – The Tom Clancy classic has returned and is just as addicting as the past games. In fact, you may find yourself sneaking around your house, and using caution when opening doors in case there’s a terrorist holding a hostage, or your little brother threatening to eat your gingerbread man.

6. Game Boy Advanced (SP) – A must-have for anyone who travels a lot, but doesn’t want to lug a laptop around that dies after an hour of use. The GBA-SP has a rechargeable battery that can last up to eight hours of game play, with a two-hour recharge time.

5. “Viewtiful Joe” (GC) – The Capcom game is one of the best side scrollers to be released in recent years. The game captures the cell shading effect perfectly and creates the movie feel that it aims to. Viewtiful Joe is one man in a red suit that isn’t very jolly, but he knows who’s naughty and who’s nice.

4. X-Box Live – The online system for X-Box is worth the $50 annual subscription. The start-up pack comes with a head set and software you need to get your X-Box running online faster than Frosty would melt in Hawaii. With the dozens of games available to play and the ability to update other games, it makes for a worthwhile present.

3. Gamecube – After seeing a price drop to $99, the system is well worth picking up. With titles like “Mario Kart Double Dash” and “Viewtiful Joe” you can spend hours playing this system. Forget Christmas dinner, it’s gaming time.

2. “Mario Kart Double Dash” (GC) – The third installment of the Mario racing series is one of the more entertaining racing games. It also adds the ability to play LAN games with friends over the Internet (requires Gamecube LAN accessory) and has tons of new modes for you and your friends to battle in.

1.”Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced” (GBA) – This addition to the “Final Fantasy” franchise is one of the most addicting to date with a unique story line and a vast array of characters to use. It involves a system unlike most other “Final Fantasy” games and can keep you occupied for hours.

Honorable mentions go to “Socom 2” (PS2), “Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” (PS2, GC, X-Box), and “Whiplash!” (X-Box).