Music’s best kept secret

Coheed and Cambria push music in right direction

It is a rarity to come across an underground band with both the power and prominence that Coheed and Cambria exude. They hail from New York with a sound that cannot be pigeonholed and should not fall victim to the three-letter word currently undermining a genre. The release of their second CD, “In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3” shows the new direction that the band is taking.

“In Keeping” draws many aspects from their debut release “Second Stage Turbine Blade” but takes a more in-depth look into the mind of singer, Claudio Sanchez. Each song is an individual epic, beautiful, yet disturbingly dark.

Sanchez takes listeners on a musical journey and gives them a chance to be privy to the adventures of make-believe characters Coheed and Cambria that take place on a seemingly distant world.

“This sequel is based around a premonition that one of the characters has during a dream, but that dream slowly turns into a nightmare,” Sanchez said on the band’s Web site.

This is seen on many of the tracks that initially appear hopeful but carefully unravel into desperation.

The record is largely conceptual, with shreds of fantasy interwoven into each track. The lyrics are intelligent and at times incoherent, but it is this uncertainty of a foreign world that makes their sound so unique. Sanchez’s voice can reach unusually high pitches but also showcases a darker ability to scream with the best of them. The production value on this album is also higher than their debut, adding to the quality of “In Keeping.”

The framework that Coheed and Cambria are built around is a relentless touring schedule, playing with the likes of Thursday and Thrice, and an amazing live performance. “In Keeping” is disc for anyone with an appetite for unique new music. If they continue to produce music of this caliber, Coheed and Cambria will be a mainstay on the indie scene, and inevitably influence an array of genres, bringing music to a new level.

– Patrick Hourihan