N-O quarter given

OMAHA, Neb. – The Massachusetts hockey team (9-3-2, 5-2-1 Hockey East) spent its Thanksgiving weekend in the heartland of America, but was not shown warm and friendly hospitality by host Nebraska-Omaha, losing and tying in a pair of non-conference games.

The Minutemen avoided a sweep on Saturday night at the Qwest Center, significantly improving their defensive play in game two against the Mavericks (4-8-2, 3-6-1 Central Collegiate Hockey Association), skating to a 1-1 tie. Friday was a far worse spectacle, as the No. 7 Maroon and White was embarrassed by the hosts in a 7-2 debacle.

Saturday’s game highlighted defense for both squads, though the Minutemen significantly outplayed the Mavericks through two periods, outshooting their opponents 16-9. But UNO sported an impressive comeback, and tied the game with just over 10 minutes remaining in regulation.

Maverick forward Scotty Turner broke up a UMass pass in his defensive zone and brought the puck down ice for a 3-on-2 break. Goaltender Gabe Winer (20 saves) stopped a handful of UNO shots on the play, but David Morelli put a final rebound above Winer’s pads and into the back of the net at 9:21 of the third.

The Minutemen got on the board in the first period on a wild sequence in front of the net. Greg Mauldin put a shot on goalie Chris Holt (26 saves), but Holt left the rebound sitting loose and Thomas P