Pozar to speak on communications

University of Massachusetts professor David M. Pozar will present a lecture today in the Massachusetts Room of the Mullins Center entitled “Wireless Communications and the Pleasures of Engineering.”

The lecture will take place at 4 p.m.

Using electromagnetism and other scientific principles, Pozar will explain how the technology used in popular modern wireless devices such as cellular phones, communication satellites and wireless information networks function, and how that technology may be used in the future.

Pozar believes that with an increasing percentage of people using wireless communication devices, a basic understanding of such technology is important. Pozar will also speak about the safety of using wireless devices, addressing issues such as the conversion to high-speed wireless Internet access, as well as more abstract topics, such as the spectrum of certain frequency broadcasts outside of our solar system.

In addition, Pozar’s lecture will discuss the roles of engineers and scientists. Historically, scientists have developed operational models and theories, while engineers have been the creative minds responsible for finding practical applications of scientific information.

Pozar’s most recent research involves antenna and circuit design for wireless systems, and ultra-wideband (UWB) devices for communications purposes.

Pozar earned his doctorate degree in electrical engineering from Ohio State University in 1980, and has received numerous awards, among them the “Presidential Young Investigator Award” from the National Science Foundation in 1984, and the Third Millennium Medal awards from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in 2000.

Pozar also spent time in 1988 as a visiting professor at Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, in Lausanne, Switzerland, and more recently in 2000 he authored the textbook Microwave Engineering.

After the lecture Pozar will receive the University of Massachusetts Chancellor’s Medal, given to individuals for outstanding service to the University.

The Distinguished Faculty Lecture Series is sponsored by the UMass Office of the Chancellor and the Office of the Provost.