Romney vetoes $10 million for UMass

Massachusetts Governor W. Mitt Romney vetoed $80 million from state bills designed to ease budget cuts and increase economic development, including $10 million set aside for the University of Massachusetts system.

Romney did approve key portions of two bills, including $34 million in promised pay raises for 13,000 higher education employees. However, the governor sparked flames with public higher education advocates and union officials by admitting that the salary increases would only be a one-time payment and would not necessarily be extended.

State Representative Ellen Story applauded Romney last night for not vetoing the raises, but was disappointed that governor implied that salary increases would not be in next year’s budget.

“I’m grateful that he didn’t veto the raises,” she said, but she continued to criticize the governor for disregarding the contracts.

Under the contracts, which were approved three years ago, the employees are due nine to 15 percent raises Jan. 1. The raises reflect the annual 3 to 5 percent increases the contracts have called for since 2001.

In the fall of 2001, acting Governor Jane Swift sent more than two-dozen collective bargaining agreements with higher education unions to the Legislature. Although there wasn’t a vote taken to the House floor, in December of 2001 the Senate voted 35-0 to fund the contracts.

In May of 2002, the contracts were added as an amendment to the House version of the state budget and passed by a vote of 139-12. One month later, by a vote of 37-0, the Senate added the contracts to its version of the State budget.

In July 2002, Swift vetoed funding for the contracts and the veto was never overridden.

Frank Olbris, grievance officer for the United Staff Association blasted Romney last night for not acknowledging the contracts.

“It’s bad business practice, it’s unfair to workers who aren’t making enough money,” he said. “It badgers the imagination as to what Romney is thinking about to cut education.”

Story said the obstacle that supporters of the bill face now is Speaker of the House Tom Finneran.

“The Speaker is not a fan of public higher education,” she said. “The only person that can initiate the override is the speaker of the house.”

Legislators can override the veto with a two-thirds vote in each branch.

According to Romney, the cuts were needed to make sure the state doesn’t spend too much, as it faces another potential gap in next year’s budget.

“If we add another $200 million in spending now, I’m concerned that will mean more cuts next year,” Romney told the Associated Press.

The UMass budget was slashed $80 million for the fiscal year that began in July, including $40 million for the Amherst campus. Chancellor John V. Lombardi told the The Republican in Springfield last week that the $10 million is essential to the success of the University. He said he wants to use part of the $10 million to hire faculty and staff to fill open positions created by early retirement.

According to The Republican, Romney said he rejected the $10 million for UMass because he didn’t feel that it was necessary.

Senator Stanley C. Rosenberg, D-Amherst was disappointed with the governor for rejecting the $10 million.

“This is obviously a big disappointment, I’m hoping we can get the house to override it, if we can get the house to do it then we can get the senate to do it,” he said last night. “The governor says he wants to make UMass a shining star and give it the support it needs but in every opportunity that he gets he does the exact opposite.”

Rosenberg said that he and other legislators will fight for an override when formal sessions begin in January.

“The legislature needs to deliver a clear message that we understand that public higher education is important,” he said.