SGA opposes $10 million veto for UMass

At last night’s meeting, the Senate Government Association addressed a number of issues including, Governor Mitt Romney’s $10 million veto toward the University of Massachusetts, the election of a new University president, compensation for meal plan expenses and the ongoing controversy with the ALANA caucus.

The veto was a primary concern. Over the past year, UMass funding has been cut $40 million and has faced a 10 percent cut in faculty and staff. Romney has also stated that he will not support the union contracts in next year’s budget. The SGA was disappointed with the veto.

“The governor has continually shown almost zero support for higher education,” Senator Brendan Duprey said. “His re-organization plan looks good for UMass-Amherst specifically, but not good for any of the others.”

The SGA voted to oppose the veto. The vote gives the University influence over the legislature toward allocating the $10 million in funds toward the University.

“The legislature has the ability to override Governor Romney’s veto,” Speaker of the House Jared Nokes said. “They need a two-thirds vote.”

Some agreed that Romney’s concerns are currently focused on the more unfortunate people living in the state.

“I called the state house today, and I spoke with people that have contact with the governor.” Senator D.J. Bettencourt said. “Right now, the governor is dealing with issues that deal with whether people can live in homes – whether people who are homeless are going to have a safe place to stay at night, are going to have a warm meal. Those are the financial matters he is dealing with.”

The SGA also discussed the issue of electing a new president for UMass. Many senators voiced concerns that the undergraduate students do not have any influence on who the new president is going to be.

Currently, no one on the Presidential Search Committee is an undergraduate student, and the only graduate student on the committee is from a Worcester school.

The candidates for presidency will be kept a secret until the president is elected.

“Everything that they are doing is confidential,” Nokes said.

The SGA also discussed raising the value of an YCMP swipe to $6.75. Currently holders of YCMP are receiving $5.75 per swipe.

In addition, the SGA also addressed the issue about representation of the ALANA caucus. There was debate whether or not it was constitutional to represent ALANA with appointed seats. However, the motion passed, telling the SGA to recognize the seats.

Nokes later said the issue would not be finalized until next semester, for the administration would need to approve it first.

Though, not all in attendance read the situation as such. Two senators within the ALANA caucus later said they understood that the seats are now reappropriated and should be recognized immediately.

Others felt that the ALANA issue should be handed over to the judiciary committee. Senator Olaf Aprans said the very fact that these seats are issued is wrong.

“They’re pretty much getting a free seat on senate just because you believe in a certain things regarding a specific issue,” said Aprans.

Also announced at the meeting was that the charges brought up last month against Senators Edwuardo Bustamante, Aiysha Cooper and Tayo Aiyeku were dismissed by the Rules and Ethics Committee. The possible charges consisted of the failure to adhere to an enactment of the SGA, among other offenses. Senator Gladys Franco was not in attendance, and therefore the discussion of her charge is pending.

The SGA has also allocated $100,000 dollars toward a comedy show that will be held at the Mullins center, on Feb. 19. The show will include Dave Chapel, Jim Beuir, Collin Quin and Dane Cook.