Smart decision is to stay in school

Imagine you’re a 15-year-old boy who is about to start his first day of high school. You would probably be excited, as well as confused about your new surroundings. A new class of seniors has been waiting three long years to mess with your head. Or maybe you are the most popular kid in school who is already being called “the next LeBron,” and have NBA scouts waiting for you in Algebra class.

Welcome to the life of O.J. Mayo.

Mayo is already 6-foot-4-inch, and has been the main-man since seventh grade for Rose Christian School in Ashland, Ky. At the age of 14, the teenage phenomenon averaged 23.1 points per game for the high school varsity squad, creating a huge media buzz around the kid before he reached puberty.

Then, he decided to transfer to North College Hill High School in suburban Cincinnati – King James’ stomping grounds. Everything from his own Web site to local news stalking his every move has made the kid a media craze before his first report card. Now, I bet you’re thinking, ‘what a great life,’ but don’t you feel there is something really wrong with this picture?

How can you tell some teenager, whose mind isn’t developed enough to think past the instant money, cars, women and fame, not to skip school? Obviously, Mayo already believes he’ll be in the NBA, so he’s basically going to have to learn just basic math for the rest of his career. It’s an absolute travesty to corrupt a young mind into thinking his future is set in stone. What if he gets injured and can never play again? Could he possibly not be truly good enough for the NBA, and fade into obscurity after making the biggest mistake of his life?

Most likely not, but there are so many possibilities. Just ask Leon Smith.

Smith was a big man beyond years after leaving for the big time in 1999, straight out of Martin Luther King High School in Chicago. After being picked 29th overall, he was cut by the Supersonics and has struggled to find identity in the NBDL. Smith is just one of many players about whom we ask, “How good could he have been?”

Think about all the untapped potential that a coach like UConn’s Jim Calhoun could have got out of Smith. Calhoun has produced solid college centers that made the professional jump with less athleticism than Smith. Guys like Travis Knight and Jake Voskuhl – players who, in their own right, are good enough for the pros, but no better than Leon Smith. In fact, the Huskies’ current center, Emeka Okafor, was a raw talent coming out of Houston and could be the No. 1 or 2 pick in this upcoming draft. Who could go before Okafor, the most dominant defensive force in NCAA since Tim Duncan? Of course, it’s a high schooler.

Dwight Howard has not signed his intentions to any school, but he seems like the kid could be in the NBA by next season. He’s a 6-foot-11-inch center with great footwork. Looking at this kid, all that comes to mind is Kwame Brown – a talented man-child with big expectations. But at 225 pounds, Howard could use some weight training, and could use a year in college to find out if he can dominate that scene like Carmelo Anthony did. Then, he can go for the cash and fame. It’s working for ‘Melo.’

The point is, for every LeBron James success story you will have three Leon Smith-type failures. Dontonio Wingfield was a high-flying, scoring machine after a year with Bobby Higgins and the Bearcats, and he took off and didn’t even get drafted. Florida’s Donnell Harvey could have been an all-star someday if he developed his post game and understood the concept of defense.

If you stay in college for four years, then declare you’ve got no excuses if you don’t make it. If you cut your collegiate career short or skip it altogether, you have no one to blame but yourself. The opportunities for an education, great coaching, development, maturity and everything college could offer were there, but you wanted the money now.

Hey Mayo, you’d look great in UNC jersey, and I bet Roy Williams knows a thing or two about point guards. Think about it.

Todd Foster is a Collegian columnist.