That time of the month won’t cramp your style; go with the flow

Sex-iversity is a question and answer column designed to provide important information and answers to questions regarding sex, sexuality, sexual orientation, sexually transmitted infections and reproductive rights. Voiced by Julia Kristan, a member of the Voices for Planned Parenthood (VOX) group here at the University of Massachusetts and an active volunteer for the Everywoman’s Center on campus, the column is intended to help educate the University community about reproductive health, rights, legislation and responsibilities. Much of the statistical information provided in this column derives from research done through and obtained by Planned Parenthood and its national affiliates.

Q. I’ve heard that having sex during a woman’s period can ease menstrual cramps. Is this true?

A. Yes, this can be true. It’s actually not merely having sex that helps menstrual cramps, but it’s having an orgasm that does it. When a woman has an orgasm, she has uterine contractions. These contractions help expel menstrual fluid. (Ladies, this might mean for you an increase in the flow of menstrual fluid following the orgasm.) The contractions relieve tension in the muscles in the uterus.

It is also said that the vigorous activity moves blood and other fluids away from congested areas, which reduces pain. When a man or a woman has an orgasm, his or her body will release endorphins. Endorphins naturally relieve pain and are similar chemically to morphine. How about that for Mother Nature?

With all these positive effects, this home remedy seems nearly perfect. However, bear in mind that the risk of STD transmission increases since menstrual blood is being expelled and will most likely come in contact with the other person. A good way to reduce this risk is to use a condom. If one or both people know they are infected with an STD, it would be wise to check with a doctor before having sex during a woman’s menstrual cycle. There may be other recommended precautions.

So ladies and gentlemen, just because a woman is menstruating, it doesn’t mean the end of sex for a week. It can be a pain-relieving and bonding experience for both people involved. Keep yourself protected (i.e., don’t stop using contraceptives and STD prevention) throughout the week and you have yourself another remedy for menstrual cramps.

The human body is pretty amazing when you think about orgasms helping cramps and endorphins that are like morphine. Here are some fun facts about humans, sexuality, our bodies and one about bats. These facts may vary from source to source; they are not all official records:

Marilyn Monroe, one of the top sex icons of the 20th century, told a friend that despite her three husbands and a parade of lovers, she had never had an orgasm.

The largest penis in the world has been medically recorded at 12 inches. One book cited the largest at a whopping 14 inches, yet had no specific source. (Don’t look so glum, guys; the average penis measures five to seven inches when erect and three to five inches when flaccid.)

The average size of a vagina is three inches along the posterior wall with a diameter of 0.8 inches. When stimulated, the area in the vaginal cavity increases dramatically.

Male bats have the highest rate of homosexuality of any mammal.

A man will ejaculate approximately 18 quarts of semen – containing half a trillion sperm – in his lifetime.

A medical study conducted in Pennsylvania showed that people who have sex once or twice a week have slightly more healthy immune systems. Sex is good for you.

The average speed of sperm when ejaculated is an incredible 28 mph! The average volume of this speedy delivery is 4cc, or about one teaspoon.

Sex is a beauty treatment. Scientific tests find that when women make love they produce amounts of the hormone estrogen, which makes hair shine and skin smooth. Don’t forget all those endorphins, which help mood and relieve pain, either.

The average woman has sex three times a week. The average woman has also faked at least one orgasm (75 percent).

Most men can orgasm within two minutes of penetration, yet most women need between 10 and 20 minutes. The male orgasm will last from three to five seconds, and the female orgasm will last from five to eight seconds.

When done safely and respectfully, sex can be a wonderful thing. Communicate, ask questions and pay attention to your needs and boundaries. And don’t ever be afraid or ashamed to say no.

Questions? Comments? E-mail [email protected]. Confidentiality is always respected.