The Source

Tuesday December 2

Music

The Fine Arts Center Concert Hall hosts “Jazz for the Holidays and Beyond” tonight at 7:30 p.m. The repertoire features holiday favorites brought to life by the Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combos and a select group of special guests. Tickets are $3 for UMass students.

Wednesday December 3

Music

The Eurdice Chamber Ensemble plays Smith College’s Sweeney Concert Hall tonight. The group, comprised of both students and faculty, will play baroque period music on a variety of instruments. The show starts at 8 p.m. and is free to all.

Thursday December 4

Art

Yoon Min Huh’s latest collection, “New Nature,” will be on view from now until the end of the month. Tonight at 5 p.m. the Burnett Gallery in Amherst, the exhibit’s host, will have an opening reception. “New Nature” is the collaboration of ink and paper to create intricate and beautiful works of art from the natural world. The reception is free and open to all.

Dance

The University Dancers perform tonight at Bowker Auditorium. A collaboration between the Five College system, the show starts at 8 p.m. and costs $3 for UMass students. There will be shows tomorrow and Saturday as well.

Performing Arts

William Shakespeare takes over the Rand Theater at UMass tonight, as “Othello” opens. Tickets are $5 for students and $ for the general public. There will be special student matinee performances tonight through Saturday and Dec. 10 to Dec. 12 at 8 p.m.

Friday December 5

Performing Arts

Smith College’s “Midnight Theater” performs tonight at Mendenhall Center. This once-per-semester production gives everyone a chance to get involved in the theater process. The event is free and open to all. For more information go to www.smith.edu

Saturday December 6

Art

The Forbes Library of Northampton hosts the opening reception for exhibits by Olwen O’Herlihy and Kellie Murphy, both being shown in the Library’s Hosmer Gallery. Murphy’s work, collectively titled “Proclivities,” is a combination of sculpture and drawings, while O’Herlihy uses the canvas bring her work, “The West of Ireland,” to life. The reception starts at 3 p.m. and is free to all.

Books

Author and illustrator D.B. Johnson, appears today at the Odyssey Bookshop of South Hadley. Johnson will read and discuss the latest installment in his Henry series, “Henry Climbs a Mountin.” The books are based on the works of trancendentalist Henry David Thoreau. The talk begins at 10:30 a.m. and is free and open to the public.

Sunday December 7

Music

The Bezanson Recital Hall host “Beloved Opera Ensembles” today at 2 p.m. Performing works from “Carmen,” “Madama Butterfly” and ” Rigoletto,” among others. Tickets are $3 for students, $5 for Five College Students and $10 for the general public.

Music

Director Catherine Jensen-Hole brings the Vocal Jazz Ensemble to the Bezanson recital Hall tonight at 8 p.m. The group will bring new arrangements of old favorites and original compositions by graduate students to the stage. Tickets are $3 for students, $5 for Five College students, and $10 for the general public.

Weekly Pin-up

Rane, recently seen touring with bands like Wilco, Santana, Rusted Root and Ozomalti, comes to Northampton Friday to play Pearl Street. Tickets are $8 in advance and $13 at the door.