Struggling Minutewomen to face rival Temple

Marnie Dacko has the chance to reach a major milestone in her young coaching career as the Massachusetts women’s basketball team travels to Philadelphia today to face Dawn Staley and the Temple Owls – her 100th win.

The Minutewomen could also set a new UMass record without a road victory after tying the 17-game losing streak on Jan. 16. The last time they met, Temple used a 14-3 run in the final 5:21 to defeat UMass, 52-40, on Jan. 9 at the Mullins Center.

Staley has had a storybook basketball career as a player and coach. A native of Philadelphia, Staley was named USA Today’s High School Player of Year in 1988 as a senior at Dobbins Technical High School. She went on to be a two-time National Player of the Year at Virginia, leading the Cavs to three Final Fours and holding the NCAA record in steals with 454. After professional stints in France, Italy, Brazil, Spain and the ABL, she went on to start for the historic U.S.A. Women’s Basketball team, compiling a 60-0 record and a 1996 Olympic gold medal in Atlanta.

In her young coaching career, Staley has shown promise since changing the role from a star player to a fresh, young coach. The third year coach has won over 50 games, captured Temple’s first A-10 women’s hoops title and has made two postseason trips, including a 2002 NCAA tournament trip. Staley, with no prior coaching experience before Temple, has averaged 18 wins per season and has already earned the prestigious 2002 Big Five Coach of the Year.

The Owls (10-7, 6-0, A-10) sport a winning record after starting the season off 4-6, facing the 36th toughest schedule in the nation, according to www.collegerpi.com. Since the dismal start, TU has won six of their seven contests, including two impressive OT wins last weekend against Richmond and Saint Joseph’s.

Temple is led by promising sophomore Candice Dupree and freshman point guard Britney Jordan. Dupree, a 6-foot-2 center, dominated the paint against the Minutewomen (5-13, 1-6, A-10) tallying 13 points, 12 boards along with three blocks and a steal in the 52-40 victory on Jan. 9. Dupree is averaging 14.8 points per game and 7.5 rebounds per game this season.

Jordan, the highest ranked recruit in Temple history, has enjoyed a stellar freshman campaign, putting up 9.8 points and a team-best 4.24 assists. Jordan’s playmaking ability is deadly when combined with an accurate three-point shot, going 23-for-67 (.343) from behind the arc.

The entire UMass team is frustrated during a struggling transition year. Adding to the frustration, Ashley Sharpton will probably miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

The lone bright spot for the Minutewomen has been the play of senior Judit Zsedenyi. The Budapest, Hungary native has improved last season’s scoring average from 3.2 ppg to a solid 10.8 ppg while playing 33.8 minutes a game.