WFCR to relocate to Hadley

88.5 FM/WFCR, an affiliate of National Public Radio, has chosen a site for its new broadcasting facility. The new site is located on Rocky Hill Road in Hadley, on property owned by the University of Massachusetts.

Friends of WFCR are currently working on a campaign to raise $5.5 million dollars to pay for the new facility.

Currently, the WFCR station is operating under less than pleasant conditions on the third floor of Hampshire House, a building located near Southwest. Leaking ceilings due to rainfall and snow melting has ruined electronic equipment needed for broadcasting. Old wiring systems have prevented the station from installing new technology needed to keep up with the other radio stations.

Soundproofing is inadequate, causing noise disruptions during interviews and recording processes. Lack of space is also an issue, making it impossible to host live performances and events. A rain catch has been installed in one of the rooms to drain the dripping water.

Hampshire House was originally a dorm built in the late 1940s to house war veterans and their families while they continued their education.

The new building has 11,000 square feet of space and will include a studio for performances, community activities, and volunteer work. An interviewing studio, student media training facilities, and technology for digital and multimedia broadcasts will also be included. This will allow WFCR to participate in web broadcasting.

WFCR is in its fourth decade, and reaches over 153,000 listeners in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Vermont. The station covers news, and broadcasts twelve hours of classical, jazz and folk music programming every day. Two talk shows, “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered,” are also broadcasted. The station also sponsors cultural trips as well as local arts and music events.