Less is more: learning to simplify

As the old saying goes, variety is supposedly the spice of life. But add a little too much variety and life might get a little too spicy.

This is the hard lesson that many Americans are discovering. Modern life in this country has far too many choices. We are a culture raised on instant gratification, dependent on having every confidence available exactly when, where and how we please.

For instance, what was once a simple trip to the grocery store has now become a daylong event. Try to choose a box of macaroni and cheese. There is Easy Mac, Complicated Mac, cheddar, American, and Meaty Mac, boxed or bowled Mac, Diet Mac and five different noodle shapes to choose from. These are the permutations available through only one of the multitudes of macaroni brand names.

Decisions, decisions. Through the development of modern technology, options that are supposed to make living easier are turning the simple life into an old memory. A study run in Parade Magazine reports that Americans’ stress levels are on the rise compared to levels from the turn of the 20th century. Although the modern world is more convenient than it was 100 years ago, it has also become more distracting and hectic.

The problem is that it’s impossible to escape. The media, an information source that thrives on accuracy, clarity and audience comprehension, has become anything but. Television news broadcasts have gone from a single anchor broadcasting behind his desk to a three-ring circus. At any given time, CNN runs news, stocks, weather, election poll updates, and up-to-the-nanosecond sports scores across its screen with flashing lights, undeniably confusing and losing most of its bewildered audience in the process.

Choices are developing in areas where there were previously none. We have the option to vacation anywhere on the planet, from the African safari to a deserted Pacific Isle. Plastic surgery and exercise allows us to formulate the “ideal” appearance. We can choose to be gay, straight, or bi-sexual. In order to borrow sugar from the neighbors, one can send a message by phone, email, voice mail, instant messaging or fax.

According to psychologist David G. Myers and political scientist Robert E. Lane, our well-being has actually been decreased by too many options. Although the last 30 years of American history have been full and rich, 14 million more people today are less than the “very happy” that they were 30 years ago. Depression is also on the rise. According to ABC and Journal of the American Medical Association, one in six Americans will experience depression in their lifetime, and 33 million Americans suffer from the disease right now.

Myers notes that the more unstructured and open our lives become, the more lost and overwhelmed we become. We should all learn that we cannot expect perfection – even with endless selections. However, it is something we are all guilty of. How many of us have searched for the perfect boyfriend or girlfriend, only to become disappointed and depressed when realizing this person can never exist? How many times have we walked through the dining commons, struggling with choices of french fries and hamburgers, to chicken and fajitas, and wound up eating everything, unable to concoct the perfect meal?

According to psychologist Barry Schwartz, people who suffer from such symptoms as “maximizers” are never able to settle for the second best option. While striving for perfection is something society encourages, it may not be the healthiest goal. Schwartz says maximizers are less likely to be satisfied, less optimistic and more likely to be depressed.

Although the outlook on life appears to have destined everyone to the confines of a mental hospital, Schwartz assures there is an easy solution to the maximizer symptoms – simplify life. Formulate a plan and stick with it. For instance, when shopping for shoes, know the brand and color you want ahead of time. Ignore the new gizmos, pumps, shock absorbers and flashing lights. Better yet, choose exactly the same pair you just wore out. What worked before will work again. In the DC, choose the first appetizing food choice you see, grab it and sit down. Don’t worry about missing the meatball grinders on the other side. Knowing the DC, they’ll still be there tomorrow.

Erika Lovley is a Collegian columnist.