Men’s track sprint toward A-10s

The season hasn’t been easy for the Massachusetts men’s indoor track squad, and there certainly won’t be any rest for the weary this Saturday at the Atlantic 10 Indoor Championships in Kingston, R.I.

Although the Minutemen carry an advantage over some teams, coming back to a surface they competed on just three weeks ago, coach Ken O’Brien assures there will be no easy breaks.

“For us to be successful, we have to be letter perfect,” O’Brien said, “we don’t have room for error in many events … and we have to have some things fall where one team beats up on another team a little bit. Someone’s got to steal points from other people.”

Senior sprinter Kwesi Frimpong-Boateng should have no problem being punctual on Saturday. Having won every race in the 55 meter dash this season, including preliminary and final rounds, Frimpong-Boateng is a textbook example of how to be “letter perfect”. The former A-10 Male Track and Field Performer of the Week should be the odds-on favorite to take first in the 55 dash.

Junior jumper Henry Smith has been coming along strong lately for the Minutemen, coming off an exceptional eighth place finish at the FasTrack Invitational in Boston last weekend.

One of the most consistent performers this season, Smith currently holds the Minutemen’s best mark in the triple jump for the 2004 season. On Jan. 31 he came up fifth in the event at the Adidas Boston Indoor Games with a leap of 45-5 3/4.

But the Maroon and White will need a strong performance from their distance team to stay in the hunt with the likes of favorites Rhode Island, LaSalle and St. Joseph’s.

Sophomore Ryan Corbett and junior Jon Korhonen are coming off of a day at the FasTrack where they finished 33rd and 34th, respectively, in the 3000. Junior Matt Clark took 17th in the 1000 at the same event.

The Maroon and White will also be depending on the tandem of sophomore James Godinho and junior Joseph McCormack to have another strong performance in the 500 this Saturday. Last weekend at the FasTrack, Godinho and McCormack took a sound sixth and eighth, respectively, in the 500. Senior multi-event runner John O’Neil will also be relied on in the event.

The URI Rams are the favorite to win the meet, competing on their home turf. They will be led by senior Colin Aina, the defending A-10 Champion in both the 55 hurdles and long jump. A serious threat in each of his events, the multi-event runner should look to repeat as 55 hurdle champion. His 7.3 time in the 55 hurdles and 7.9 in the 60 hurdles are both URI records.

The LaSalle Explorers will have a strong showing Saturday, in the form of distance runner Ryan Fennelly. A three-time A-10 Performer of the Week this season, the junior set a school record in the 3000 earlier this season with an NCAA-qualifying time of 8:05.45. The Explorers will also be relying on two-time A-10 Rookie of the Week Adam Breisch to stir things up in the middle distance events.

The St. Joseph’s Hawks should give the Explorers plenty of worry in the middle distance events in the form of sophomore Andre Laboy. Last weekend at the New Balance Armory Collegiate Invitational in Bronx, N.Y., Laboy took first in the 3000 with 8:18.07.