President Bush backs new amendment

Yesterday afternoon the leader of the free world stated that he was in support of a proposed constitutional amendment that would limit the freedom of the expression of love. As Mr. Bush stood behind the podium of the Roosevelt Room of the White House he finally put into words what many had expected: a supposition highlighting his stance on possibly the biggest issue heading into this year’s election.

“Decisive and democratic action is needed because attempts to redefine marriage in a single state or city could have serious consequences throughout the country,” Bush said.

Despite this bold assertion, he also confirmed his belief that states should retain their power to define “civil unions” for themselves.

The Democrats showed immediate disapproval with Bush’s statements including a written statement by Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe that showed discontent toward the President’s seemingly diversionary tactic.

“It is wrong to write discrimination into the U.S. Constitution, and it is shameful to use attacks against gay and lesbian families as an election strategy,” McAuliffe said, “It appears that the conservative compassion he [Bush] promised to deliver in 2000 has now officially run out.”

U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy also had something to say on the subject. “[Bush will] go down in history as the first president to try to write discrimination back into the Constitution,” he said. In his written statement he also added, “We have amended the Constitution only 17 times…[It] has often been amended to expand and protect people’s rights, never to take away or restrict their rights.”

Sen. Kennedy raises a good point. Our Constitution has been a staple of our country’s openness to diversity. It has always embraced the rights of an individual and this sudden infringement upon these rights should not be taken lightly.

The very essence of the Constitution is that all men are created equal. There have been debates in the past: women’s suffrage, civil rights, and others that have caused a national debate to end close-mindedness on issues that subvert one minority or another.

So now our country is faced with another dilemma in regards to a group without the power to defend itself politically. Homosexuals in our nation are simply craving their “inalienable” rights.

Bush is concerned about the, “serious consequences,” that will face our nation with the legalization of same-sex marriages. The only consequence that will occur is that our collective ideology will have to change.

There is the presence of the majority that may not want to see such a liberal-minded mandate in favor of gay marriages, but this is not what the premise of American liberty stands for.

As John Stuart Mill, a Classical Liberalist in the late 1800’s said in his book On Liberty:

“Like other tyrannies, the tyranny of the majority was at first, and is still vulgarly, held in dread, chiefly as operating through the acts of public authorities.”

Information from cnn.com was used for this editorial.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of The Massachusetts Daily Collegian Editorial Board.