SGA denounces Alcohol Task Force findings

Last night the Student Government Association disapproved of some of the Alcohol Task Force recommendations and passed a motion in support of same-sex marriage.

At the meeting the Senate heard nine motions, and passed eight.

Last week, the Senate had asked that the two motions dealing with the Alcohol Task Force recommendations be sent to the University Policy committee. On Sunday, the committee discussed one motion that disapproved of some of the Alcohol Task Force findings for three hours.

“I thought it had to be done,” said Patrick Higgins, chair of the ways and means committee, on his motion being sent to the University Policy committee. “Everyone has a take on an issue as important as alcohol abuse, and everyone has a right to provide input. That’s why I am so proud of this motion, because I believe that everyone did.”

The motion in opposition to the Alcohol Task Force findings stated that the University should not need to restrict dormitories by age, that the fraternities and sororities do not need a faculty advisor for alcohol abuse and that parents should not be notified of alcohol-related offenses. It also asked that security staff be used for dorms with more than 400 students and for more representation of students if there are additional task forces.

The Alcohol Task Force was formed last year with 21 members of faculty, administration and three student members. The members met to discuss what steps the University should take on the prevention of alcohol abuse.

One of the student members, Brian Long, secretary of University Policy, was the sole representative from the SGA.

This fall the Alcohol Task Force presented Chancellor John Lombardi with an 11-page document which included several attachments with their findings.

They made many recommendations with both long-term and short-term goals. The recommendation being considered by Michael Gargano, vice chancellor of student affairs and campus life, asks that “parents and legal guardians be notified when their sons or daughters under 21 years of age are subject to disciplinary action due to a violation of the University of Massachusetts Amherst Alcoholic Beverage Policy.”

Gargano is specifically considering sending a letter home for a first offense when a student is charged with having a large volume of alcohol or providing it to minors. A letter will be sent home when a student is charged with a second offense for having an open container or being underage with alcohol.

Senator Tim Busiere led the opposition to Higgins’ motion. He said he felt that alcoholism is a major problem at UMass. He brought several studies to the Senate to prove his case. Based on the UMass Amherst Project Pulse Survey and CORE Alcohol and Drug Survey, he showed that 65 percent of students believe that “the social life here at UMass is too focused on alcohol” and 74 percent of students said that, “too many students on this campus abuse alcohol.”

Busiere’s motion, which supported the Alcohol Task Force Policies, failed.

“It makes me sad,” said Busiere. “I’ve brought countless studies and even University polls to demonstrate the enormous alcohol problem on this campus and its adverse affect on students just to have it rejected.”

After the lengthy debate, Higgins said he still showed respect for Busiere.

“Tim was a force behind rejecting the motion,” said Higgins. “I believe that a lot of people gained respect for Tim, but in the end [my motion] passed on its merits in the committee and in the Senate.”

After a second lengthy debate, the Senate also passed a motion to support same-sex marriage. Senator Dan Pomeroy and Senator Raul Brens co-wrote the motion, which passed with a clear majority.

Senator David Bettencourt was the first to speak out against the motion.

“I am opposed to this motion for three reasons, none of which are because of personal animosity toward any homosexuals,” he said. “One, I don’t know how many of you read the editorials in The [Massachusetts Daily] Collegian, but if you have, you will notice that there is a serious problem. It says that anybody who disagrees with this because of their religion is a bigot and a homophobe, and that’s crap. I think if this motion passes, it feeds into what these guys do at The Collegian.”

His second reason was that the Senate should not be lobbying. He also argued that he did not think that the majority of students supported gay marriage.

Pomeroy fired back, arguing that a majority of students would support the motion.

“We all represent 250 students,” he said. “If you don’t know what your constituents think, then you need to get to know your constituents better.”

Pomeroy had brought several of his constituents to the meeting.

“This effects every student’s future here,” said UMass junior Michael McKinstry, a constituent. “I don’t want to feel threatened that I am in a secondary relationship.”

“We’re not telling the students what to think,” said Senator Dan Pozmanter. “I have a sneaky suspicion that students will applaud us for taking a stand.”

In the announcement portion of the meeting, Long announced his campaign for presidency. As of now, he does not have a running mate. Higgns also announced his; he said his running mate will be student trustee, Timothy Daly, current governor of Southwest. Mina Safain, secretary of public policy and relations, later told The Collegian that Attorney General Mark Morrison would also run for the presidency.