Tennis caught in Ivy

It wasn’t exactly the best week for the University of Massachusetts women’s tennis team (4-2, 1-0 A-10). The Minutewomen dropped their last two road contests to Ivy League foes Brown and Dartmouth this past week.

UMass traveled to Providence, R.I. on Monday where they met the 65th ranked Bears.

Brown took control at the beginning of the match, defeating doubles team of Jenny Munroe and Stephanie Price. Christine Liehr and Dorothy Iwanowicz started strong, but eventually lost with a score of 8-6.

Susan Hyams and Sasha Edelstein won the third doubles set, but because Brown had the best out of three, the Bears won the doubles point.

The Minutewomen didn’t fare any better in the singles matches, losing all but one, securing the Bears’ victory. No. 1 Munroe fell 6-7, 6-0, 1-0, and Edelstein lost the No. 2 singles match 6-2, 6-3. Liehr lost the No. 3 spot with a similar score of 6-4, 6-1, but it was a good day for Iwanowicz, who brought in the only singles win with a score of 6-2, 6-2. With this win, Iwanowicz managed to maintain her undefeated record for singles this season so far.

The team made its second stop along the Ivy League circuit in Hanover, N.H. to compete against Dartmouth yesterday afternoon. The match started out well, with Price and Iwanowicz taking down their opponents with a score of 8-4 in the first position doubles match.

The victory would prove to be the only win for the Minutewomen at the match, as the team was entirely swept in the singles matches. Price lost the No. 1 singles spot 6-1, 6-0, and was followed by Liehr in the No. 2 position, 6-2, 6-3.

Edelstein fell 6-4, 6-0 in the No. 3 match, and in the No. 4 position, Iwanowicz was defeated for the first time in singles this season, 6-3, 6-2. Bartoloni’s luck wasn’t much better in the No. 5 spot, as she lost 6-3, 6-2, and even veteran captain Hyams fell 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 6 spot.

The team may have lost to the Ivy League schools, but the Minutewomen are 1-0 in the Atlantic 10, having already beaten A-10 rival Temple University.

Despite a disappointing week, the future is anything but grim.

Starting today the team embarks on a three-match weekend in West Point, N.Y. The first two matches are against non-conference opponents, Columbia and Army, but early Sunday morning the team goes up against its next A-10 opponent, St. Bonaventure (2-3).