UMass bitten by Spiders

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team attended Richmond’s clinic Sunday on how to play team basketball. The Minutewomen’s 77-49 loss to Richmond was due to the Spiders’ accurate shooting and ability to force the Minutewomen into poor decisions.

The Maroon and White (6-19, 2-12 Atlantic 10) committed 25 turnovers, 10 more than its opponent. Richmond took advantage of every turnover, scoring 28 points off turnovers while UMass could only manage 12.

The Spiders (17-8, 9-5 A-10) amassed 18 steals, with three different Richmond players recording at least three, including seven steals from senior Amber Goppert, tying her career-high.

“Richmond just simply killed us,” head coach Marnie Dacko said. “They simply put on a clinic and beat us at every aspect of the game especially in turnovers. They looked like a team looking for an NCAA berth.”

Goppert had a career night for the Spiders. Along with her seven steals, the senior guard scored a career-high 21 points while dishing out seven assists.

Freshman Christina Campion recorded her first collegiate double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds. Junior Kate Flavin was another post presence for the Spiders, connecting on 9 of 15 shots for 19 points. She also collected six rebounds and three steals.

Every Richmond player scored in the contest, and four Spiders reached double figures. Richmond was also perfect from the line, going 8 for 8.

Two UMass players were able to score in double digits. Junior Edris Bailey had 12 points, but struggled from the floor, going only 4 for 13. Freshman Tamara Tatham had a solid game with 12 points, and was one rebound shy of a double-double. Tatham was the only Minutewoman to hit over 50 percent of her shots, finishing at 55 percent (6 for 11).

Though Goppert was the driving offensive force, the Spiders shot a high percentage from the field at 53.2 percent, while the Minutewomen struggled, shooting only 38.5. The numbers tell the offensive productivity, as the Minutewomen had trouble finding the open option, losing the assist category 11 to 23.

The victory gives Richmond a 10-1 record at the Robins Center.

“Richmond played well as a team,” Dacko said. “They came right from the start and took it to us. We had no aggression on either end. Some of the kids didn’t play as hard they could, but some kids played hard out there for us.”

Richmond was in command from the beginning, building a double-digit lead, 14-4, just five minutes into the game. UMass scored only six points in the first nine minutes.

Flavin hit a lay up with 5:30 left to give Richmond their first 20 point lead. The Spiders went into halftime with a 21 point lead, 43-22. Richmond’s biggest lead was at 36 points with 4:50 left in the second half.

The loss to Richmond came after a heartbreaking overtime defeat in Olean, N.Y. on Thursday. St. Bonaventure won 82-76 in OT with four players out due to injury or suspension, including their two top scorers.

With four seconds left, the Minutewomen were holding on to a three point lead. Senior Lyndsey Maurer shot a contested three pointer, falling well short. The Bonnies’ Audrey Latendresse crashed the boards, catching the ball in mid-air and hit the lay-up while being fouled. Latendresse hit the free throw to convert the three point play to force the overtime.

SBU (8-17, 4-10 A-10) went on to outscore the Maroon and White 10-4 in OT. All 10 of their points came from the free throw stripe, shooting 10 for 12 in the extra session.

St. Bonaventure’s foul shooting was one of the key stats in the victory. The Bonnies’ 81.3 percent from the line was far superior to UMass’ 54.5 percent.

Maurer led the books with 26 points, and freshman guard Joyce Massey led the Maroon and White with a career-high 22 points.