Dean is done

Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean is not seeking the Democratic Party’s nomination for the upcoming national election. Oh, I’m sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. Dean isn’t running for president. Oh, did those folks in the back with the “Dean for America” bumper stickers miss something? I’m sorry. Dean isn’t running for president.

Did you hear me that time? Good.

I’m writing this column Monday night, on the eve of Super Tuesday, when New York, Massachusetts, California and several other states held their primary elections. Massachusetts Senator John Kerry is seeking the nomination. North Carolina Senator John Edwards is seeking the nomination. The Reverend Al Sharpton and Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich are seeking the nomination.

Oh, did you happen to notice who isn’t actively seeking the party’s nomination for the national election? That’s right, Howard Dean. Then why, oh why, are Deaniacs plastering “Vote for Dean” posters and “Dean for America” bumper stickers all over the Campus Center? Why was a crowd of Dean supporters standing across the street from John Kerry supporters in downtown Amherst this past weekend?

Honestly, I don’t know.

My best guess is this is an example of grassroots stupidity. The same well-meaning ideologues who voted for Ralph Nader during the ill-fated 2000 election are now rallying their support behind a candidate who isn’t running. Voting for a nonviable candidate and splintering the DNC isn’t that great of an idea, folks, no matter how great his health care plan is.

Maybe this is the aftermath of a campaign built around social events rather than coherent policy. Dean did such a phenomenal job building a grassroots organization around events like his famous “meetups,” maybe the Deaniacs don’t want to give up their Saturday night plans just because their candidate isn’t a candidate anymore.

There’s always the possibility that Dean is telling his supporters to keep the faith. Let’s take a look at Mr. Dean’s website.

“There are a lot of ways to make change,” according to Dean’s campaign website. “We are leaving one track, but we are going on another track that will take back America for ordinary people again.”

This makes sense. He’s not running for president anymore but he wants his supporters to stay involved with the political process. This is a great idea. So where are all of the Dean for President posters coming from? Maybe what Dean really means is that he will run as an independent rather than a democrat and his supporters can follow him to another party.

“We want everyone involved in ‘Dean for America’ to stay involved, stay together, stay with the Democratic Party, and support the democratic nominee,” according to Dean on his website. “As I have said before, I strongly urge my supporters not to be tempted by independent or third-party candidates.”

So, according to the man himself, Dean supporters should keep going to meetups, keep using the Internet in new and amazing ways, keep fighting for the issues they believe in, but they should stay in the DNC. This makes sense. So why are some of you Deaniacs still campaigning for a man who isn’t running for office? You shouldn’t be.

Democrats differ on a wide variety of issues including free trade, same-sex marriage, foreign policy and just about everything else. One goal that all Democrats and many independents and third party members can rally around is the burning desire to kick President George W. Bush out of office come November.

Unfortunately, Bush has more money and a tighter organization than his opponents. In case the 2000 national election didn’t convince you, swing voters can have a huge impact on election outcomes. The only way we’re going to beat Bush is by consolidating our votes and our money around the democrat nominee. Splintering off into the margins will only help Bush get re-elected. The sooner the DNC can put differences aside and start supporting our nominee, the more organized and effective our campaign will be this year.

Even though Dean didn’t win any primary elections, his campaign was one of the most effective in either party’s history. Dean’s supporters are incredibly valuable to the DNC, and even the former governor implores his former campaign volunteers to stay in the party and support the Democratic Party’s nominee.

Dean doesn’t want to be a splinter in the DNC but rather a catalyst for change. The party has a long way to go before it’s unified around coherent platform, and active progressive democrats have an excellent opportunity to harness the momentum from Dean’s campaign and use it to modernize and unify the Democratic Party.

Dean’s done folks, but the fight has just begun.

Rachel Smith is a Collegian columnist.