Interest group raises money for community project

The Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group raised $355 on Saturday through “Hoops for Hunger,” a three-on-three basketball tournament held in Totman Gymnasium to further its goal of opening a soup kitchen in Northampton.

Ten teams signed up to play in the tournament, which was held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. MassPIRG Representative Meaghan Cunningham said that she had expected at least 16 teams to sign up, but was not disappointed with the turnout. Last year, 35 teams played in the tournament.

Teresa Soracco, a UMass student and tournament participant, didn’t plan on going to the event, but was standing in for a friend who had planned to play but hurt her knee.

“We basically got together today for the basketball,” she said. “It’s worth being here because it’s for a really good cause.”

Many prizes for the event were donated from on-campus or local businesses. Campus businesses donated prizes, such as mugs from People’s Market, and UMass T-shirts from the University Store. Other prizes included passes to Ultimate Fitness, movie passes from Cinemark, and gift certificates to Dave’s Soda and Pet City, all of which are located in Hadley. Local eateries like the Bluebonnet Diner and Brasserie, both in Northampton, donated gift certificates.

“It was good to see that so many local businesses supported our cause and were willing to donate prizes to our event,” Cunningham said.

According to the Food Research and Action Center, more than 33 million Americans suffer from hunger. MassPIRG is working toward their goal of addressing the issues of hunger and homelessness with their efforts.

“Hoops for Hunger” was the first of many events planned in hopes of raising $30,000 to open the soup kitchen. The next fundraising event planned by MassPIRG is “Hunger Cleanup Day,” which will take place on April 3.

“Hunger Cleanup Day” will involve students who are sponsored to work in the community for a three-hour period. Participants collect pledges from sponsors and then volunteer within the community on projects such as painting local shelters, planting community gardens, preparing and cleaning food banks, and construction. Each student involved has to raise a minimum of $25 to participate.

“It’s not a huge commitment, but with a lot of people the event will be successful,” Cunningham said.

“This is going to be one of our really big events that we’re hoping will bring in a lot of money for our soup kitchen campaign,” Cunningham said.

“Hunger Cleanup Day” was created by the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness. It is one of the largest national one-day community service fundraising events. The aim of the campaign is to educate participants about problems of hunger and homelessness and encouraging continued community service participation by volunteers.

The National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness was created in 1985 by the Student Public Interest Research Groups and U.S.A. for Africa.

The campaign works to increase student community service and to sustain a coalition of students and community members working to end hunger and homelessness through service, education, and action, according to one of their publications.

Their “Hunger Cleanup Day” is now in its 20th year.

The kickoff of the event will take place on Amherst common, and will involve students from UMass, Amherst College and Smith College.

The MassPIRG branches at each school are working collaboratively to establish the soup kitchen.