Minutewomen ousted by Dukes

PHILADELPHIA – After a season that had all the makings of a rebuilding year, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team didn’t convert any skeptics on Friday. UMass was eliminated from the first round of the Atlantic 10 tournament for the second straight season at the hands of Duquesne, 73-44.

The only positive for the Minutewomen, who finish the season 6-22 was the play of junior forward Edris Bailey. Bailey scored 18 points, grabbed seven rebounds, and recorded six steals.

Bailey has been the most consistent player for UMass this season and finished the year leading the team in steals (45), total rebounds (171), and points per game (11.4).

“We didn’t get any scoring outside of Edris Bailey and we had 20 points at the half, we held them to 31,” UMass coach Marnie Dacko said, “You would think with them sagging and playing in a zone we would be able to shoot from the outside. So I think that when you look at it, Edris stepped it up and no one helped her.”

The Minutewomen shut down co-A-10 player of the year Candice Futrell in the first half. Futrell, who has averaged 21.8 points per game this year, was held scoreless in the half by UMass point guard Cleo Foster.

But Futrell came alive in the second half and sparked a seven-point scoring run for the Lady Dukes with her first three-pointer. Futrell finished the game with 11 points, but dished five assists and kept the Minutewomen off-balance for most of the second half.

The Minutewomen gave one of their finest defensive performances of the season. The Maroon and White caused an array of poor shooting from the Lady Dukes, but were unable to capitalize on offense.

UMass caused 15 turnovers in the game, but gave the ball up 22 times. The Lady Dukes took advantage of the Minutewomen’s miscues with a transition offense which caused two 6-0 scoring runs in the second half.

“Their transition did hurt us – our turnovers cost us and their turnovers didn’t cost them,” Dacko said, “We didn’t capitalize on their turnovers and they capitalized on all of ours.”

For UMass, Friday’s game was the last collegiate game for three seniors: Foster, Judit Zsedenyi, and Glamora Maeweather. Dacko was pleased with the experience the seniors provided for the team this year, and hopes her squad can turn the corner next year.

“I don’t think their effort disappoints me, I think that what I have to look for right now is change and for the people that are returning get on board.” Dacko said. “Twenty-two losses is unacceptable, but I knew this was going to be a challenging year. I think that UMass’ program is going to go in a new direction.”