No scrubs for Sox in win over Twins

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) – Boston’s backups scored seven runs in the eighth inning with the help of three walks and a wild pitch, and the Red Sox beat the Minnesota Twins 9-4 in a split-squad game yesterday.

The Red Sox batted around in the inning, and none of those hitters has played for them in a regular-season game. Minnesota’s Kevin Tolar did pitch in six games for Boston last year and was wild in allowing five runs in one-third of an inning.

One day after their much-anticipated game against the Yankees, an 11-7 loss, the Red Sox went ahead 6-4 on a two-run single by Jeremy Owens, then added one run on a single by Hanley Ramirez and two more on a single by Matt Murton.

They didn’t give in to the urge nervous youngsters often have to swing at whatever pitch is thrown, Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills said.

“Those guys really did a good job of getting some pitches to hit and getting ahead in the count,” said Mills, who managed the team.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona was with another squad that beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-3 in Clearwater.

Against Minnesota, Derek Lowe and Tim Wakefield each allowed a run in two innings. Twins starter Kyle Lohse gave up a run on three hits in three innings.

The Twins scored an unearned run in the first on Justin Morneau’s RBI single. They made it 3-0 on a two-run homer by former Boston infielder Jose Offerman in the third against Carlos Morla.

Offerman also doubled in the first but didn’t score.

“I’m trying to help him out,” Lowe joked about Offerman, trying to make the Twins on a minor league contract. “I’m a nice guy, 3-1 fastball down the middle, double. I thought maybe he was even going to get an RBI, but he didn’t.”

Terry Shumpert, whose error at shortstop contributed to Minnesota’s first run, homered in the third. But the Twins made it 4-1 in the fourth on a triple by B.J Garbe and a run-scoring groundout by Cristian Guzman.

Boston’s Johnny Damon doubled in a run in the fourth before the Red Sox scored seven runs on four hits.

Sean McGowan singled, Tony Womack walked and both advanced on a wild pitch. Michael Hernandez grounded to third and McGowan beat the throw home. Kevin Youkilis walked, loading the bases, before a walk to Carlos Febles made it 4-4.

Owens, Ramirez and Murton then followed with run-scoring hits.

Edwin Almonte wrapped up the game for Boston with two scoreless innings.

Notes: Boston SS Nomar Garciaparra missed his second straight game with a sore right Achilles’ tendon. He’s expected to be ready for Tuesday night’s home game against Cincinnati. … At Clearwater, former Phillies ace Curt Schilling took Boston’s lineup card to home plate before the game but didn’t pitch. … The Twins had five hits in the first four innings but only three in the last five _ singles by Jacque Jones and Joe Mauer and a double by Henry Blanco. … Pedro Martinez makes his exhibition debut for Boston against Cincinnati on Tuesday night.