Softball heads south

Southern bound.

The Massachusetts softball team heads to Miami this weekend to compete in the Blue and Gold Classic.

The Minutewomen (6-9) enter this weekend’s competition with a week off and a weekend split behind them. The young squad has managed a combined 5-5 record for its last two tournaments.

Freshman utility player Candice Molinari is leading the team in batting average (.343) and has earned herself a place in the starting line-up. The Atlantic 10 rookie of the week is 3-5 on stolen base attempts and has been perfect on the field.

Sophomore Katie Joe Kelley is batting .205 and has a team-high four homeruns, including her first career grand slam and two game winners.

After a slow start, junior right-hander Kelli Arnold has settled down. Arnold holds a 3-1 mark on her last four starts with a 0.83 ERA and a save. She has struck out 19 and allowed three earned runs in 25.1 innings.

UMass is scheduled to tee off against Virginia Tech (14-6) and Miami of Ohio (3-6) today at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. respectively.

The Hokies are riding a six game win streak and have muscled 15 homeruns and a cumulative .321 batting average. Kelly Brown leads the team in hitting with .441 and has scored 21 runs.

Along with consistent run support, Virginia Tech has two starting pitchers at 4-1. Rachel Pacheo has a 1.28 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 38.1 innings. Karie Morison has a 1.53 ERA and has mustered 29 strikeouts in 32 innings. Although the Hokies are off to a strong start, UMass holds a 15-1 lead in the series.

The Red Hawks, on a four game losing streak, have not played since Feb. 22 due to the cancellation of the first Pitch Classic. The team is hitting .217, has a combined ERA of 1.92 and is 13-18 in stolen base attempts. Bianca Paz leads Miami batting .421 and has reached on five of her seven stolen base attempts.

The Red Hawks hold a 3-2 lead in the series with UMass.

Saturdays match with Florida International (7-14) is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. The Classic will be the fourth and final time FIU will host a tournament this season.

The Golden Panthers are hitting .219 with only two homeruns and are 25-31 in stolen base attempts. Jacque Vetters is hitting .262, has both of her teams’ homeruns and has stolen a team high seven bases.

The Minutewomen faced FIU in last weekends FAU Worth Invitational falling to them 5-0. The series between the squads is even at 2-2.

Bracket play will take place Saturday at 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. and continue on Sunday with the consolation game at 10:30 a.m. and the championship game at 1 p.m.

In its 30th year, UMass softball is just four away from 900 total wins and currently has an overall record of 896-391-4.

The Maroon and White will remain in Miami to practice through Tuesday and do not have another game scheduled until they take on Boston University on March 24 at 3:30 p.m.