Stone wins 500th as Minutemen sweep Rider

On Sunday Mike Stone, head coach of the Massachusetts baseball team, did something that no other coach has done in the history of New England collegiate baseball.

He won is 500th game.

The Minutemen opened their season by sweeping non-conference opponent Rider in a double header at Richard F. Daly Field, winning the first game 6-5 and the second game 15-2.

In classic Stone style, he was pleased with reaching this coaching milestone, but was reluctant to show any emotion. He was more excited about starting off the season on a high note.

“Honestly year to year you want to focus on a good season and the number of wins that you have. It was more important that we got off to the season on the right foot,” Stone said, “It was nice to get to that point I guess, but the most important thing is we’re getting ready for a successful season.

“I guess if you hang around long enough it’s going to happen, but I feel good about the fact that we got off on the right foot”

Stone arrived at UMass after coaching the University of Vermont for five years, accumulating a record of 54-90-2. Stone left UVM to coach UMass in 1988 and hasn’t looked back since.

“We just have better players and more people that are interested in having a good ball club,” Stone said, “When I first came here we had some pretty hungry guys and we practiced hard. The kids here are hungry they want to be good players.”

Since his hiring as head coach at UMass, Stone has led the Minutemen to an array of success in the Atlantic 10. During his tenure the Minutemen have won seven A-10 regular season titles, two A-10 Tournament crowns coinciding with two NCAA Tournament appearances.

He has also brought UMass to the championship of the Beanpot Baseball Classic, (including Boston College, Northeastern, and Harvard), four times in the last seven seasons.

Senior second basemen Cullan Maumus has seen the work ethic that Stone has instilled in his players. He was pleased that the team could help Stone achieve this milestone, but understands that to coach it’s just another number.

“We work hard every year, I’ve been here for four years so I feel good for him, Maumus said, “I don’t think he thinks of it as anything too big, but the players feel good to do something for him.”

Several members of the team congratulated coach between games, but put their game-faces on for the second contest of the double header.

After the game assistant coach Ernie May along with senior captains Sean Sarno and Mike Athas presented Stone with a plaque noting the victory.

“A lot of them knew about it and a few of them came and congratulated me after the game and that was it,” Stone said, “At the end of the second game they gave me a plaque with the number on it, but it didn’t have the date because we didn’t know when it was going to happen.”

May, who has been an assistant for Stone over the last six years, knew the team had been discussing the mark prior to the game, but retained their focus. He understood that Stone was looking to get the win, but didn’t want it alter the focus of his squad.

“I think it’s good that we got it out of the way and moved forward,” May said, “The players have been talking about it among themselves and obviously coach knew about it. He stayed focus and made sure that everyone was focused at the game at hand.”

May believes that part of Stone’s success has derived from his unaltered approach to every season. Regardless of the team or circumstances, Stone has pressed that fundamentals are the key to success.

“Consistency is a big thing for him, every year he introduces the same philosophies,” May said, “He never really strays away from his plan it’s his consistence that helps him maintain is winning ways.

“He is definitely deserving of all the recognition and he was definitely excited, but he was obviously more excited to get the win. He’s always going to say team first.”