Bustamante discusses the value of truth

I would like to take this opportunity to address the issue of truth. It is a tricky concept, which distinguishes between the truth (lower case), a version of what one believes to be in accordance with reality; and the Truth (capitalized), “a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality” (Webster’s), which is recognized instinctively by all. “I am telling the truth,” versus, “I speak The Truth” – that which is understood versus that which is known.

One might expect, as I believe most of us do, that all people understand instinctively that telling the truth is of the utmost importance. However, I have witnessed recently serious violations of Truth in response to perceived threats to self-interest. These truths (viewpoints) that violate Truth require long and complicated explanations, like spending $800 of student money on a newspaper advertisement, or throwing out democratic elections.

The basic fundament of telling the truth is sincerity; one views a situation and describes sincerely what one sees. Different people can see the same situation and each one interpret it differently. This conflict however, does not mean that one of the parties is lying. The lesson here is that there can be more than one truth.

Based on this concept, the founding fathers implemented the First Amendment – Freedom of Speech. The logic is that in a free market place of ideas, where all the truths are aired, the greatest truth will rise to the top. This is how we ensure optimal growth as a country, a state, a city or, in our case, a university.

This is also how we choose our leadership. Each prospective leader speaks his or her truth freely. There is heavy debate, and the leader with the greatest truths gets the most votes, and rises to the top. First, this ensures that our leaders are the most qualified. And second, hearing the other truths and debating strengthens our leaders by giving them greater understanding of a given situation.

What happens when someone injects a lie into this system? It is destructive for two reasons: First, it allows for a candidate whose truths are not the greatest to win by slandering the other candidate. Second, it stops the forging of great leaders, by avoiding the debate of the issues that matter.

Therefore, anyone that has published things knowingly misrepresenting their interests, claiming that I said things they know I did not, or just making things up about me they know are not true, please understand that the harm you are doing is not just to me, or to the SGA campaign of Matt Murphy and myself. Your lies are holding back the entire student body.

If you really want to talk about the issues: how we plan to wake up the student body, implement a textbook rental system or change the credit system to four per class, your feedback can do nothing but help. It will ensure that the students are aware of the issues and choose the correct leaders. When we are wrong or make mistakes, your calling us out can only sharpen us.

The Truth is that truth is invaluable, (especially at this moment and at this school) and your selfishness is an obstacle to progress. I know you are aware of it. You felt The Truth in your gut when you saw the title of this article; that part never even required my defense. Now, shift your vision upwards. Come to the table sincerely; be guided by The Truth and let’s take back UMass.

Eduardo Bustamante

SGA Presidential Candidate