Patriots end draft with some offense

FOXBORO (AP) – The New England Patriots added a pair of big-name offensive playmakers Sunday, selecting Arkansas running back Cedric Cobbs and Florida State split end P.K. Sam on the second day of the NFL Draft.

The Patriots took Cobb and North Carolina free safety Dexter Reid in the fourth round, and added Sam with their fifth-round pick. They selected Illinois cornerback Christian Morton in the seventh round with their final pick.

The defensive-minded Patriots used five of their eight picks on defensive players, and according to coach Bill Belichick, drafted more for value at the respective draft position than need.

That’s a luxury the defending Super Bowl champions can afford.

“I think our draft went pretty well overall,” Belichick said. “I feel like we got younger and faster on defense, and offensively I feel like we got good value at the skill positions.”

The 6-foot, 221-pound Cobbs, the 128th overall pick, was one of the biggest names left on the board. He was one of the nation’s top recruits coming out of high school, and was named MVP of the Cotton Bowl as a freshman in 1999. But he was redshirted the following season after injuring his right shoulder, and didn’t earn a full-time starting job until 2003.

Cobbs made the most of the opportunity, as he rushed 1,329 yards on 5.8 yards per carry and scored 10 touchdowns en route to earning first-team All-SEC honors.

He performed well in big games, rushing for 169 yards against co-national champion LSU and 141 yards in a 27-14 win over Missouri in the Independence Bowl.

Cobbs will challenge for playing time on special teams, including kick returns, with newly acquired Corey Dillon expected to start at tailback. Cobbs fell to the second day of the draft largely because of past character issues and concerns about his durability, and though he said he was “a little bit heartbroken” initially about being picked so late, falling to the Patriots might have been a blessing in disguise.

“I know I had issues in the past, but I got over that a long time ago,” said Cobbs. “I’m looking towards the future … Hopefully I can reach my goal to be one of the best backs in the NFL, and I have a great opportunity in New England.”

The 5-foot-10, 203-pound Reid, the 113th overall pick acquired by the Patriots in the Tebucky Jones trade, was a consensus All-Atlantic Coast first team selection as a senior in 2003 after leading the Tarheels with 132 tackles, 95 of which were solo. He started 36 straight games for North Carolina during the past three seasons and finished his career with 466 tackles, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and three interceptions.

“They play my style of football,” said Reid. “I’m very excited to play in that type of defense, and I’m looking forward to coming out there and doing what the coaches want me to do.”

Sam left Florida State after his junior year. He caught 50 passes for 735 yards and five touchdowns in 2003, but is perhaps best known for his acrobatic 52-yard TD reception that helped the Seminoles beat Florida 38-34 in one of the most exciting college games in recent memory.

At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, Sam thinks his size will be an asset in New England.

“I know the receivers are kind of shorter than I am, so maybe I can add some height and help in that way,” Sam said.

Morton played alongside current Patriots defensive back Eugene Wilson at Illinois.

-Associated Press