ALANA candlelight vigil remembers lives lost in war on terror

Amidst the flickering light of the candles they held in their hands, University of Massachusetts students gathered last night in a vigil remembering those who lost their lives in the war on terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“This vigil is where we can get together and express our sorrow,” said Nelson Acosta, director of the Office of ALANA Affairs, which hosted the candlelight vigil. “We just want to commemorate the people who’ve been hurt, lost their lives, and have an opportunity to talk about it in a non-political matter.”

The group of about 20 students shared their feelings on the war, and the toll on human lives.

“It’s not only soldiers, but civilians,” said Gladys Franco, a senior political science major. “We’re here to mourn those who are losing their lives for what is not necessarily a good cause.”

While some felt sorrow, other also felt anxiety about what consequences the fighting will cause in the long run.

“To me, any war is not something I want,” said Pavel Payano, a sophomore psychology and Spanish major. “I am scared that we are making more enemies out of this. I hope in the end that this all works out.”

Despite the fear and sorrow that some students expressed concerning the loss of life in the war on terrorism, others said they found comfort and hope in the company of their fellow students.

“This vigil brings me strength,” said Binnish Butt, a senior communications and English major. “I, as a Muslim woman, wear a veil on my head and everywhere I go, I am representing my religion. This vigil gives me hope that people are accepting, that there are Americans who are with me.”