All Saint day

Senior second baseman Kevin Roberts homered on the first pitch of the game and starting pitcher Josh Burnett worked seven strong innings as Siena downed the Massachusetts baseball team 7-5 in non-conference action yesterday at Earl Lorden Field.

The leadoff homerun was the second hit against the Minutemen in as many home games, while the loss was their 10th in 11 contests and fifth straight in Amherst.

The Maroon and White return to action on Thursday, when it will travel to Brookline for a rematch of the opening round of the Baseball Beanpot with Northeastern. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Friedman Diamond.

Junior righthander Mike Crane started and took the loss for the Minutemen, giving up five hits and three earned runs while walking five and striking out four to fall to 1-1 on the season.

Freshman righthander Devin Barnett pitched well in relief of Crane, allowing one unearned run on two hits in two-and-2/3 innings.

Closer Scott Ratliff did not fare as well, surrendering two runs on a hit and two walks in 2/3 of an inning before sophomore Jeremy Demers took over and recorded the final two outs.

Burnett allowed two runs on six hits, struck out one and walked a pair to earn the win and improve his record to 4-3 on the season.

Sophomore catcher Frank Curreri was the offensive leader for UMass, going three-for-five – including a two-run homerun in the sixth inning – with three runs batted in and two runs scored. The homerun was Curreri’s sixth on the season, good for second on the club, while the RBI’s give him a team-leading 42 on the season.

Catcher Tony Cipolla paced the Saints attack, going three-for-four with a pair of runs scored. Leftfielder Shawn Hampton and Roberts also contributed a pair of hits, while centerfielder Matt Gidaly collected a pair of RBI on a pinch-hit single.

Leading 1-0 heading into the fifth inning, Siena posted a run in the fifth and two in the sixth to take a 4-0 lead.

The Minutemen cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the sixth, as Curreri launched a one-out double to center, plating two and making the score 4-2. However the Saints then pushed their lead to 5-2 with an unearned run in the top of the seventh.

UMass fought back in the bottom of the eighth, using a Siena error and an RBI single by senior tri-captain Matt Reynolds to pull within one at 5-4.

After Siena tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the top of the ninth to take a 7-4 lead, the Maroon and White made one last attempt to tie the game. With two outs and no runners on base, senior tri-captain Mike Athas began the furious rally with a single down the right field line.

After senior Cullan Maumus walked, Curreri connected on his second double of the afternoon to score Athas and set up runners on second and third with two outs before Siena reliever Josh Courage struck out Reynolds on three pitches to end the game.