My last words: UMass rules!

So here it is, my last column.

There are so many things I will take away from UMass. The professors were fantastic; I’ve made a handful of good friends, and I had probably the greatest job on earth: helping other veteran’s transition into college.

It greatly saddens me that the University has recently gotten much bad publicity for one student’s off-color rant, while the countless academic and cultural achievements here go unnoticed. So, rather than kvetch about all the things I haven’t had a chance to complain about this year, I’ll use my last column to tell you everything I love about UMass.

I would like to impress upon all Jewish students that you should check out Hillel at least once. Services at Hillel have probably been the single most influential set of experiences at UMass for me. The folks at Hillel have re-awakened my interest in the Torah, and not only do I actually do the weekly readings, I’m also learning Hebrew in my spare time. I was afraid that services would be the stuffy, uncomfortable experience at my family’s synagogue, but instead they’re fun and sincere.

My experiences with extra-curricular activities have at least been highly instructional even when they haven’t been fun. I had this bi-weekly column, which was a great honor. I don’t want to know what I think half the time so it’s always an ego boost when people come up to me and agree with something I wrote.

My work with the University Democrats has been difficult at times, but overall, I couldn’t have hoped to hang out with a better group of people. I would like to impress upon all students that it really doesn’t take much to get involved in local and even national politics, but it does require you showing up for a meeting or two with the University Democrats or at least talking to an internship advisor, like Professor La Raja in the political science department.

Let’s talk academics. I have been overwhelmed with support from the faculty in the legal studies, political science, history, and Japanese departments. The professors haven’t just been teachers, but have been mentors, meeting with me and exchanging emails outside of the classroom and generally going way above and beyond what I expected from a large university like UMass. I honestly haven’t had one class here that I wish I hadn’t taken, and there isn’t one faculty member that I wouldn’t recommend to other students. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but it isn’t chance that there are so many outstanding professors at the University.

Since I’m a senior, and it’s too late for the Collegian to fire me, I’m going to thank a few people. First of all, I wouldn’t have had the drive to accomplish as much as I did if I wasn’t doing it for my son, Garrett Smith. Without my parents, Martin and Abby Solomon, driving me crazy I wouldn’t be the person I am today.

I owe a debt of gratitude to my best friend, Ana Galvan, who has always believed in me even when I didn’t believe in myself. Ana has been a touchstone for me and a pillar of strength. Oh yeah, and she saved my life.

Thanks to my partner, Ken Campbell, I’ve become a better person and a happier woman. I never thought I’d love a Republican.

I would like to thank every faculty member and advisor individually, but I don’t know if I have enough room, so instead I’ll just say thanks to the legal studies, political science, Japanese, and history departments for teaching more than I thought was possible in the five semesters I’ve spent here.

A million thanks to my first roommate, Courtney Marzano. She was actually a normal roommate, which was more than I could have hoped for. Once again, thank you to everybody at Hillel especially Ben, Daniel and Sarah.

I owe a debt of gratitude to newlyweds Jim and Becca Smith. Thanks to Mrs. and Mr. Smith, Jim’s mother and father – thank you for putting up with me during winter break and orientation.

Also, thanks (in no particular order) to Bray, Yancey, Gurtler, Bell, Shelton, Sgt. Rolle, Sgt. Maj. Orto, Staff Sgt. Rhodes and Donelle, Sergeant First Class Eagleman, Sgt. Adams, AFKN, the 55th Combat Camera Company, the 65th PAOC and everybody who’s out there risking their lives while I’m finishing my degree. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you; I’m sorry I’m not by your side. Eyes of the Army, huah!

Whether you want it or not, I’m dedicating my columns from this year to those who served in the Pentagon on Sept. 11, those who have been called to active duty and those who have served overseas since the tragedies of that day. I’ll never forget the smell of sulfur that permeated Pentagon City two days after the attacks, and I’ll always be grateful that so many people I care about survived. No matter what, I’ll never forget.

And to all the Lionel Mandrakes of the world (see the movie “Dr. Strangelove” if you don’t get the reference), don’t stop making sense.

Rachel Smith is a Collegian columnist.