A long-awaited rematch

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Massachusetts football coach Don Brown was justifiably unhappy when he spoke those words on Wednesday afternoon. For the initial three games of the 2004 season, Brown has been relegated to watching his new team from the press box as part of a settlement with his former employer, Northeastern University. It was a difficult experience, one that Brown said “[may not] ever really leave me,” and for those three games, the adversity was clearly on his shoulders.

Meanwhile, after winning the first two games in impressive fashion, the Massachusetts football team laid an egg Saturday. Opening their Atlantic 10 slate on a sloppy, rain-soaked field, the Maroon and White lost to Stacey Tutt and Richmond – a loss that was the team’s first in Amherst since the end of the 2002 season.

The adversity had shifted, and now each of the Minutemen share part of the burden – the need to discover their identity as a team had clearly arrived, just a week before one of the biggest games of the season.

Last November, before a frenzied, sellout crowd of 21,804 at Delaware Stadium, the University of Delaware combined with the Minutemen for 182 offensive plays, 950 net yards, 50 first downs, four ties, and four lead changes before eventually outlasting Mark Whipple’s squad 51-45 in triple overtime.

Now, the No. 4 Fightin’ Blue Hens (2-1 1-0 A-10) and their legion of fans will arrive at Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Saturday for a 1 p.m kickoff as the defending Division I-AA National Champions will face a No. 16 Massachusetts team (2-1 0-1 A-10) led by Brown for the first time in the most crucial of early season games.

For the Minutemen, a win would go a long way in helping Brown’s first UMass team realize its true colors, while a loss would be devastating for either squad’s playoff hopes at this early juncture of the I-AA season.

The rematch is certainly on.

“This is a big game for both teams, no question about it,” Brown said. “We certainly have a challenge ahead of us. They’re the No. 4 team in America and obviously our guys are excited to play this game.”

“It means a lot to some of our core guys who were on the team last year and were a part of such a tough loss, to come back and have another crack at Delaware.”

Despite winning the schools first championship at the I-AA level last year, all is not well in Newark for K.C. Keeler’s group. The Hens dropped their season opener to New Hampshire in shocking fashion, and followed that up with unimpressive performances in wins over A-10 newcomer Towson and Division II West Chester.

Gone from Delaware’s ranks are the reigning A-10 Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year in quarterback Andy Hall and defensive end Shawn Johnson, but Brown knows that Keeler has plenty to work with, including Missouri-transfer Sonny Riccio under center.

“They’re pretty good.” Brown said. “Riccio seems like he’s getting better with each game. All the receivers are back and they look like pretty much the same group on offense.

“On defense they have a lot of guys back. It’s going to be the same strong Delaware defense; some pressure, some base and very aggressive in nature.”

One major difference for the Hens is at the running back position, where power back Sean Bleiler and speedster Lonnie Starks gives Keeler a good chance of pace in replacing the departed duo of Germaine Bennett and Antwan Jenkins.

The 220-pound Bleiler has emerged as the feature back after gaining 225 yards and 42 carries and scoring a touchdown, while Starks has chipped in with 171 yards on 31 carries.

“Bleiler is a big and powerful kid who’s a banger, while [Starks] is a different cat, a little bit more shifty and shaky,” Brown said. “Obviously Riccio is no slouch either carrying the ball, and when you put that together with four good wideouts, you’ve got your hands full.”

One star that has returned for UD is first team All-A-10 cornerback Sidney Haugabrook, who earned his reputation as a pure playmaker from his elite skills as a kick returner but has also developed into one of the premier cornerbacks in the A-10. He already has an interception to his credit and ranks third on the team in solo tackles with 14. He will likely be a big part of Delaware’s attempt to shut down UMass star Jason Peebler. He is also expected to play a large role on special teams.

“[Outside of UMass] I think [Haugabrook] is the most productive corner in the conference,” Brown said. “When you factor in the punt returns, he strikes fear in your heart.”

“Just look at his numbers and make no mistake, he put them back in the game at Towson with an 80-yard punt return, and that’s not the first time he’s done that.”

Peebler, meanwhile, practiced wearing a yellow “no-contact” jersey on Tuesday, but Brown expects him to return to regular workouts and be ready for Saturday.

The news is not as promising for defensive lineman Keron Williams, however. The junior continues to nurse an undisclosed injury sustained in the Colgate game, and Brown said his return would likely come a week from Saturday, when UMass travels to face Boston College.