Minutemen can’t Bear down, drop third straight

Jimmy Velas scored the first two goals of his eight-day-old collegiate career Saturday in a 3-1 Maine victory over Massachusetts in men’s soccer.

The freshman midfielder notched a pair of goals in less than six minutes to give the Black Bears (1-1-1) their first victory of the season. The homecoming loss drops UMass to an 0-3 record.

The action was fairly even throughout the first half with the only converted scoring chance going in favor of Massachusetts. UMass freshman Matty Lemire capitalized on a centering feed from fellow midfielder Michael Donnelly with 4:42 remaining in the first frame.

Donnelly found a seam in the Maine defense after gaining control of a loose ball deep in Black Bear territory. Donnelly’s pass to Lemire set up a shot that beat Maine goalkeeper Chad Mongeon to the lower left corner of the net. The goal gave the Maroon and White its first lead of the season, which it maintained until the second half.

Lemire’s goal is only UMass’ second of the season, as the Minutemen have been outscored 9-2 by opponents thus far.

“[Lemire] has been training hard and I expect many more [goals] from him and the other five freshman we have playing,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “We had our scoring chances just like Maine, but they scored and we didn’t.”

As the second half got underway, Maine soon found itself with a golden scoring opportunity. A series of perimeter passes by the Black Bears in its offensive zone drew the UMass defense out to pressure the ball. But before the Massachusetts defense could set, Justin Stockford fired an outside shot towards the goal.

Stockford’s shot ricocheted off the right goalpost, landing in open space a few feet from the goal. UMass net minder Colin Burns charged out of the goal but was beaten to the loose ball by Velas, who scored an uncontested goal at 53:59. Stockford was credited with the assist.

After tying the game at one goal apiece, Velas caught another break that helped elevate Maine to a 2-1 advantage, with 30:41 left to play. The scoring chance came about when Matthew Bernal of Maine lobbed a breakaway pass into the offensive zone.

The streaking Velas caught up to the ball a split-second before Burns and managed to bounce a shot off the diving goalkeeper. Burns, who had run twenty feet out of the net to grab the loose ball, was caught out of position and didn’t have time to recover. The deflected shot bounced off Burns towards the UMass goal, where it was recovered by Velas, who dribbled towards the net unabated. The assist was attributed to Bernal.

“We gave too much space in midfield and were beaten to loose balls,” Koch said. “We let Maine play their game in the second half, and they are a good enough team to make you pay.”

Chad Mongeon and Burns each made four saves for their respected teams after facing a combined 23 shots. UMass out cornered Maine 5-1 but failed to capitalize on any of its eight free shots.

Maine tacked on an insurance goal with 10:15 left in regulation to ensure victory. The goal was scored by Joe Corey and assisted by Gabriel Germano.

“This is a very young team that has worked hard and is getting used to the college pace,” Koch said. “We didn’t win the 50-50’s and weren’t allowed many second chances. You can’t win if you get beaten to the ball.”

The loss of three All-Americans to graduation last season may be contributing to UMass’ early season scoring woes. Burns and midfielder/forward Gabe Barard are the team’s only seniors. Seventeen freshman and sophomores comprise the bulk of the Massachusetts squad.

The Maroon and White will return to action on Tuesday at 3:30 when they will be looking for their first victory of the season against Hartford at Rudd Field.